Error when starting Word 2011: Word cannot open the existing global template.

Original Title: "Big trouble with Word 2011 on OSX Lion"
 I'm having some serious issues with Word 2011 installed on OSX Lion. When I start Word, I get the following error;

"Word cannot open the existing global template. ()"

I can't seem to save either a template or a new Word doc I've created anywhere on the hard drive (I can save a doc to a thumbdrive though). When trying to save to anywhere on the hard drive I get one of the following errors;

"Word cannot save or create this file. The disk may be full or write-protected. Try one or more of the following: Free more memory. Make sure that the disks you want to save the file on is not full, write-protected, or damaged ()"

or

"Word cannot create the User Templates folder where you have selected. Please try another folder location that has write access and does not contain a folder named Templates."

or

"Word cannot save your global template because you are running Word from a read-only folder. Would you like to create a folder on your hard drive to save this? If you choose No, Word will be unable to save any default settings."

When I try to save a template (in Word), most directories (including Downloads, Documents, etc) there is a red circle with a slash through it for almost all directories. There is no mentioned circle on the "Shared" folder icon, but I still can't save a file or template to that folder.

That kind of implies that most of the hard drive is read-only, but Word is the only App that I am having problems with. Excel and Power Point have no problems.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Regards,

Answer
Answer
Original Title: "Big trouble with Word 2011 on OSX Lion"
 I'm having some serious issues with Word 2011 installed on OSX Lion. When I start Word, I get the following error;

"Word cannot open the existing global template. ()"

I can't seem to save either a template or a new Word doc I've created anywhere on the hard drive (I can save a doc to a thumbdrive though). When trying to save to anywhere on the hard drive I get one of the following errors;

"Word cannot save or create this file. The disk may be full or write-protected. Try one or more of the following: Free more memory. Make sure that the disks you want to save the file on is not full, write-protected, or damaged ()"

or

"Word cannot create the User Templates folder where you have selected. Please try another folder location that has write access and does not contain a folder named Templates."

or

"Word cannot save your global template because you are running Word from a read-only folder. Would you like to create a folder on your hard drive to save this? If you choose No, Word will be unable to save any default settings."

When I try to save a template (in Word), most directories (including Downloads, Documents, etc) there is a red circle with a slash through it for almost all directories. There is no mentioned circle on the "Shared" folder icon, but I still can't save a file or template to that folder.

That kind of implies that most of the hard drive is read-only, but Word is the only App that I am having problems with. Excel and Power Point have no problems.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Regards,

I had the same trouble and my hard drive had renamed itself to // I renamed it iMac and that cured everything.

5 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer
Assuming you have not tried to install Office onto other than the local drive and into the default folder, the first thing I suggest is to run Mac's Disk Utility.app and Repair Disk Permissions.  After running this, make sure you re-boot the system.

Next verify that your Office version is 14.1.4 and if not get it there.

Next Weed Fonts and follow the instructions that are detailed in this link.

Then because I believe in belts a braces approach, check those disk permissions once again and then finally ...

One more re-boot and hopefully now you are ready to Rock n'Roll :-)l

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated September 20, 2018 Views 12,253 Applies to: