Document turned into asterisks

My whole document turned into asterisks. I undoed it and it was still the stars. I have tried closing and reopening the document and nothing has worked. Microsoft phone support couldn't help. Can anyone help me?

Question Info

Last updated April 2, 2019 Views 2,695 Applies to:
Answer
Yes.  This is a known bug, which was cured by an update.

Go to Help>Check for Updates, and run that until it says you are fully up-to-date.

If you have set the preference "Word>Preferences>Save>"Always create backup" then a backup of your work is in the same folder as the original, labelled "Backup of..."

If that preference was OFF, then sorry, nobody can help you, you have lost the document.  It was gone anyway, but when you closed Word, that deleted the AutoRecover file which might have saved you had you been quick enough.

The AutoRecover mechanism will not operate until a) you have saved the document, and b) Word knows that it has crashed.  If this happens again, immediately use Force Quit from the Apple menu to kill the Word process.  If you are quick enough to do it before the next autorecovery save, your original document will be recovered when Word re-starts.

Hope this helps
John McGhie, Microsoft MVP (Mac Word), Consultant Technical Writer. http://www.john.mcghie.com.au

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.