Can I get the open dialog to sort files by label and name?

When I want to open a file that I have already created, it may be buried down through three or four levels of folders.  It would make it easier to get to the files if the folders were listed first.  I have labelled my folders so I can get Finder to list them first, but word 2011 doesn't seem to let me do that.  Is there a way to change that?
|
Answer
Answer
Oh Rich, Rich, Rich ;-)

Switch to List View in either the Open/Save As dialog, make sure Kind is included in the Headings [add it if necessary as described in my other reply], then click the Kind heading. The listed items will be grouped in ascending order by Kind & listed alphabetically within the Kind groupings. [BTW: When you choose the Headings in either Open or Save As, the other is automatically modified accordingly.]

Granted, that doesn't necessarily put the Folders at the top of the list, but it does group all folders together in alpha order.

Regards,
Bob J.
AI: Artificial Intelligence or Automated Idiocy???
Please mark Yes/No as to whether a Reply answers your question.

Regards,
Bob J.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer
Word has very little to do with it... it's OS X [ OS as in operating system :-) ] which presents the Open & Save As dialogs as well as most other operational services. Those dialogs are really just a variation on a Finder window.

When you go into the Open dialog note the cluster of 3 View buttons in the upper left corner of the dialog which represent  Icon, List,  & Column Views. Click the List View button then click a heading to sort the list in A/Z order based on the content displayed in that column of the list -- Click the same heading again for Z/A order.

PS: You can also right-click any of the headings in order to specify what info displays in the List View. Drag the headings to arrange them in the sequence you prefer & adjust the column widths as well.

The Open dialog works the same way.

Regards,
Bob J.
AI: Artificial Intelligence or Automated Idiocy???
Please mark Yes/No as to whether a Reply answers your question.

Regards,
Bob J.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 17, 2020 Views 1,186 Applies to: