Turn off the Two-Step Verification
1. Go to http://account.live.com and Sign in using the Microsoft Account and Password that is associated with an active Office 365 Subscription.
2. After the sign in page, the next page will direct to a page where you can manage the account:
(see screenshot below)
3. Click Change password.
4. Then on the Change password page, just click CANCEL.
5. On the next page, Look for the TWO STEP VERIFICATION option and if you see an option to TURN OFF Two Step Verification, click it.
6. After doing so, go back to your application and try to activate again. That should activate office.
***however if the two step verification is not enabled on your account, follow the below steps to fix the issue.
7. Remove the license file
- On the Go menu, click Computer.
- Double-click your hard disk icon. The default name will be Macintosh HD.
- Open Library, and then open Preferences.
- Drag com.microsoft.office.licensing.plist to the Trash.
To remove subscription files, follow these steps:
- On the Go menu, click Home.
- Open Library.
Note The Library folder is hidden in Mac OS X 10.7 and later. To display this folder, hold down the OPTION key while you click the Go menu.
- Open Preferences and then open ByHost.
- Arrange files and folders in alphabetical order.
- Drag all files that begin with "com.microsoft" to the Trash.
IMPORTANT Please restart your computer after following the above steps to remove in-memory caches.
After you have rebooted the Apple computer, completely empty the trash.
Then, TRY THE ACTIVATION OF OFFICE MAC Again.
If this will still not work, completely remove Office for Mac 2011 by following the steps indicated on this website:
Then download and install office back on your computer.