importing to Outlook From Mac Mail

I have Outlook for Mac 2011 and am attempting to import from my Mac Mail to Outlook.  When I follow the instructions that come with Mac Outlook, I select Import -> Information from another application and there is no choice for Mac Mail.  The instructions that come with Outlook for Mac state that there should be.  Direction is greatly appreciated!

Question Info

Last updated March 30, 2018 Views 1,735 Applies to:
Answer
There is no option. Originally the option was there but it did not work so it was removed.

What type of accounts do you have? (POP, IMAP, Exchange)

For your IMAP and Exchange accounts, you can just setup accounts in Outlook and your mail will download from the server. Contacts and events can be synced to Outlook via Sync Services. Note: Outlook can sync to iCloud messages but NOT to contacts and calendars on iCloud.

Apple Mail exports a non standard .mbox file so you would need a third party app to convert to a format that Outlook can read or you can create a free IMAP account (iCloud, Gmail) to upload your messages from Mail to the server then enter account in Outlook. You can then move the messages from the IMAP server to Outlook's "On My Computer" folders and delete the IMAP account if you no longer wish to keep it.

Don't move too many messages at a time. Verify by comparing number of messages in folder to messages on the server. I would start with a smaller number in the hundreds and see how long it takes. Verify the number moved was actually uploaded and is now on the server before starting the next batch.

Note: some ISPs will not allow too many messages moved in a day.

EmailChemy offers a conversion tool for mbox files.
http://www.weirdkid.com/products/emailchemy/

Note: If you do want to use iCloud to sync messages in Outlook, I suggest your turn off contacts and calendars in System Preferences > iCloud and/or don't check Outlook's Sync Services to sync to these items.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.