How do I turn OFF (or maybe even edit) read receipts in MS Outlook for Mac???

Yes, that's right, I want to turn this OFF or edit it so that read receipts go to the correct email address. I know what you're thinking, that you can't even use read receipts in MS Outlook for Mac. But I have been, although by accident. This is what happened in my case:

Years ago when I had MS Entourage I set it up to ask for a read receipt when I sent emails. I did this by doing the following steps:

1. In Entourage I selected "Tools." and then "Accounts."

2. I selected the "Mail" tab and selected the account I wanted to use read receipts with by double-clicking on the account name.

3. I then selected the "Options" tab.

4. And, in the box labeled "Header," I entered "Disposition-Notification-To" and typed my email address into the "Value" box. 

5. After clicking "OK", Entourage was set up to request read receipts.

When I purchased Office 2011 for Mac, and imported my Entourage accounts etc into Outlook, it also copied this setting for me. This was fine - it just kept requesting read-receipts and that was good.

HOWEVER, the email account I was using is now no longer active and what I'm finding is that whenever I send an email, that the recipients whose computers are actually trying to send a read receipt, are returning them an error message because the email it's trying to send the read receipt to an email address that can't be resolved.

So, how do I now change this in MS Outlook? I need to either remove the "Disposition-Notification-To" setting, or change it so that it goes to my current email address.

Thanks for any help. It will be very much appreciated!

Joe.

Answer
Answer

Oh I see, well that's a really different case then.
I know Outlook can import that setting from Entourage and getting rid of it is ridiculously tedious.

I don't believe there is any UI for editing that field anymore.
I'm not sure exactly where the setting is saved, but I fear they are in the Identity itself.
One option would be to delete, then recreate the account.

You could also try to see whether the Entourage Read Receipt AppleScript that could be used to play around with these settings in Entourage still works with Outlook (or maybe it could easily be adapted for Outlook).
You can still find the scripts here:
http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/25148/entourage-read-receipt
The download link still works though the developer page is 404.
          Corentin

I do *not* work for MS
Je ne travaille *pas* pour MS

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 6, 2023 Views 1,551 Applies to: