How do I request a read receipt in Outlook 2011?

Original Title: "read receipt"

How do I request a read receipt when sending e-mail with Outlook for Mac 2011?

Question Info

Last updated August 15, 2019 Views 84,270 Applies to:
Answer
Answer
The reason why they are not included is they are an almost useless feature which gives people false assurances, always a bad thing:

1) It doesn't work when the receiving email client does not have an automatic service that sends a reply. (Not only Entourage/Outlook Mac - there are many, many other other email clients which don't reply.) Therefore, if you don't get a reply you may incorrectly think it wasn't received,

2) It doesn't tell you that the recipient read the message anyway, only that his email client received it. Therefore when you get the reply you may incorrectly believe that he read it when he hasn't.

So - bad both ways round. It's a really feeble protocol, and good that Entourage or Outlook does not (pretend to) implement it. The fact that Outlook for Windows implements it is an indication that the Windows developers, unlike the MacBU, seem to think that everybody else in the world uses Outlook for Windows, which they don't. The MacBU developers, being on a "minority" platform, know better, and are smarter in not implementing it. To be a bit fairer, the Outlook for Windows approach probably reflects the fact that, originally, back in Office 95 for PCs, Outlook for Windows was an extension of an earlier client that worked only as intranet - something you used only with other people on your own Exchange server. Outlook for Windows started life doing the same thing - there used to be two modes - one for "Workgroups" on an Exchange server, and another for "Internet".

There were some poor decisions made when Outlook for Windows was extended to the Internet, that shouldn't be there. This is one of them - it's inaccurate and unreliable, since it assumes that everyone can do it, which they can't. You're much better off just not using it, since it cannot be relied upon.

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer
I concur and am extremely disappointed that read receipt function is not included in Outlook 2011 for Mac.  Please address this issue at earliest opportunity.  I have 60 days in which to return my Mac if not satisfied with transition from PC to Mac.  This will be one strong factor in my decision.

It bears repeating that this is a forum where Office users communicate with each other, not Microsoft.

Getting something like this fixed involves making squeaking noises where it will do some good. "The squeaky wheel gets the grease" so if you want your voice heard, speak to Microsoft.

Anyone who wants to let Microsoft know that having the return receipt feature is important to their business and office should fill in this web form:
http://www.microsoft.com/mac/product-feedback

I am an unpaid volunteer and do not work for Microsoft. "Independent Advisors" work for contractors hired by Microsoft. "Microsoft Agents" work for Microsoft Support.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.