Alt Key Shortcuts on Office for Mac

Hi!

I was a windows user and I used Office on my previous windows PC a lot. Recently I have shifted to Mac and I have bought an Office foe Mac 2011.

Now in windows I was very much used to Alt key based shortcut functions that use to help me in navigating the ribbon specially in Excel. For example Alt+H+W use to wrap the text in the cell column of Excel on PC, Alt+H+B+A will put a border on all sides of the cell. In the same way I can use all commands of Excel without even touching my mouse. Now I am actually missing these commands in Office for Mac, as I have to navigate with my mouse for all these functions which is very much time killing.

These  alt based shortcuts not only worked in Excel but on all other Office programs like:
In Powerpoint: 'Alt-D-M' = set animation settings
In Word:            'Alt-A-I-B' = insert (a) row(s) below in the table
In Excel:            'Alt-W-A-H' = Windows, Arrange hOrizontal.

Can you please suggest a method by which I can use these commands on Office for Mac, just in the same way I used it on my PC before.

Question Info

Last updated January 23, 2020 Views 26,849 Applies to:
Answer
Answer
There is a way to access items in the main menu bar:
  • To access the menu bar: Ctl F2
  • To select a menu or submenu item: partially type the name or use the arrow keys
  • To enter a highlighted menu or submenu item: press Enter or Return
Thus, to add a row above a table in Word, the sequence would be Ctl F2, T, Enter, I, Enter, R. (Or simply add a shortcut to that command!)

To customize menus and shortcuts, use View > Toolbars > Customize Toolbars and Menus, where you would be working on a gray popup toolbar that mimics the menu structure:
  • You change the position of menus, submenus and commands
  • You can create new toolbars, menus and submenus, then add commands and submenus to them
  • You can make copies of all menu items by Option-Dragging
  • You can add new shortcuts to commands (most Control + Key combinations are available)
To enable and disable menu navigation, press Ctl F1.

For a bit more info, see this link. There are sure to be other webpages, though.

Si mi respuesta te ha servido, márcala como solución o como útil.

6 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.