How can I keep the gridlines on my worksheet when I copy and paste to e-mail?

Original Title: "Gridlines"
Please can some one tell me how to keep the gridlines on my worksheet when I copy and paste to e-mail, they disappear

Question Info

Last updated December 6, 2019 Views 38,136 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

I hate to revive this old thread, but I ran into this problem too.  I'm using Outlook for Mac 2011 and when I copy from Excel for Mac 2011 into Outlook, I never get the gridlines (unless I use the picture method mentioned above).  However, when I copy from Excel (part of Office Pro Plus 2010) inside a Windows 7 Virtual Machine the gridlines paste just fine into Outlook  for Mac 2011 natively (without converting to a picture).

So it seems this is more of an Excel for Mac problem, rather than an email client.  This really is horrible.  I'm a long time windows user, and this feature was extremely handy.  Not sure why such a handy feature would be lost when moving to the Mac version of Excel.  It seems I have to run more and more things inside a Windows Virtual Machine.

I am disappoint.  :(

I'm having the same problem.
just found this and it worked.

JonWeiss replied on

I have successfully pasted tables into Outlook for Mac 2011 with borders, but it is a 2-step process:

1. Copy from Excel and paste into Word
2. Copy from Word and paste into Outlook

All should be good from there.

18 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer
I don't mean to contradict my friend Bob G. :-) but if you're pasting the content as editable data I don't believe the gridlines  will appear in an email message regardless of what email program you're using, HTML or not... At least I've never seen it done in Apple Mail, Entourage or Outlook for Mac. Email simply is not capable of supporting gridline content.

If your email app supports it you can use Edit> Paste Special> As Picture (or equivalent). The gridlines can be included if you have Gridlines checked in Page Setup when you copy the Excel content.

Alternatively, in Excel you can hold Shift while you open the Edit menu, select Copy Picture & choose the As shown on screen option in the little dialog that pops up on screen.

Both of the last 2 options, however, result in a picture of the data rather than the data, itself.

Regards,
Bob J.
As an MVP my contributions here are purely voluntary.

Please mark Yes/No as to whether a Reply answers your question.

Regards,
Bob J.

12 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.