MS Word in my Office 2004 for Mac important feature

Does this version of Word not contain the OVERWRITE feature for making corrections?  If it does, how do I activate it? Many thanks.

Question Info

Last updated December 2, 2017 Views 76 Applies to:
Certainly it does :-) & it's right where it's always been -- Word> Preferences - Edit, check the box for Overtype mode. In that version of Word you can also click the OVR button on the Status Bar to toggle it On/Off. Another option is to assign a keystroke to the command if you'd like.

Overtype mode has been pushed further into the background in the more recent Mac & Windows versions because of it being a bewildering intrusion for most users. In fact, very few of us old-timers continue to use it because of the significantly more accurate, more efficient, more expedient options available. IMHO, toggling back & forth between Overtype & Insert modes is one of the most cumbersome ways to work, but if that's what you prefer it is still available.

You may find this earlier discussion to be of interest.

Bob J.

As an MVP my contributions here are purely voluntary.

Please mark Yes/No as to whether a Reply answers your question.

Bob J.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.