RRAS unable to start service (Windows 10)

I was attempting to setup an incoming VPN connection so I could securely connect to a remote machine of mine (non-domain).  In Network Connections I go to File ->  New Incoming Connection.  I select the user, check off 'Through the Internet', then click 'Allow Access'.  

I get the error:

Windows could not create your connection

Incoming connections depend on the Routing and Remote Access Service, which was unable to start. For more information, check the system event log.

In the System event log I have Event 7024:

The Routing and Remote Access service terminated with the following service-specific error: 
General access denied error

In services, Routing and Remote Access is set to start automatic, but it is stopped.  When I try to start it I get the following error:

The Routing and Remote Access service on Local Computer started and then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they are not in use by other services or programs.

I can not only reproduce this error on this machine, but I can replicate it on other machines.  I'm currently on build 16170, but this error also occurred in previous builds.  I'm running Windows 10 Pro x64.  

Question Info

Last updated October 14, 2018 Views 24,066 Applies to:
Answer

I was attempting to setup an incoming VPN connection so I could securely connect to a remote machine of mine (non-domain).  In Network Connections I go to File ->  New Incoming Connection.  I select the user, check off 'Through the Internet', then click 'Allow Access'.  

I get the error:

Windows could not create your connection

Incoming connections depend on the Routing and Remote Access Service, which was unable to start. For more information, check the system event log.

In the System event log I have Event 7024:

The Routing and Remote Access service terminated with the following service-specific error: 
General access denied error

In services, Routing and Remote Access is set to start automatic, but it is stopped.  When I try to start it I get the following error:

The Routing and Remote Access service on Local Computer started and then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they are not in use by other services or programs.

I can not only reproduce this error on this machine, but I can replicate it on other machines.  I'm currently on build 16170, but this error also occurred in previous builds.  I'm running Windows 10 Pro x64.  

We are aware of an issue that can prevent creation of new incoming connections and are working on releasing a solution in a future update. In the meantime, the following steps should help.

Important: These steps require the use of Registry Editor. Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information on backing up and restoring the registry, see KB322756.

1. Search for “regedit” using Cortana, then run the regedit command in search results to launch Registry Editor.
  2. Navigate to Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\RasMan
    1. Create a new DWORD (Edit > New > DWORD)
    2. Name the new DWORD SvcHostSplitDisable
    3. Open the new DWORD, set the value to = 1, then click OK
  3. Navigate to Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\RemoteAccess
    1. Create a new DWORD (Edit > New > DWORD)
    2. Name the new DWORD SvcHostSplitDisable
    3. Open the new DWORD, set the value to = 1, then click OK
  4. Restart your PC (Start > Power > Restart)

You should be able to create new incoming connections after your PC restarts.

140 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.