Networked Computers Description

I've posted this in 2 other forums.  If you have read it there my apologies for using your time.

In Windows 8 (perhaps in Windows 7 also) the description of the computers on your network could be obtained by creating a folder, usually on your desktop, named Network.{208d2c60-3aea-1069-a2d7-08002b30309d}

When you opened this folder all the computers attached to your network were displayed ALONG WITH THE COMPUTER DESCRIPTION. 

With many computers on a network the computer description is often needed to know which computer contains the directory to which you want to map a network drive.

In WINDOWS 10 this no longer works.  The folder with the name Network.{208d2c60-3aea-1069-a2d7-08002b30309d} can be created.  It does say Network (the name of the network).  When you open the folder it has an icon for Entire Network.  Unfortunately the Entire Network folder is empty.  (Opening the standard Windows folder shows the networked computers but does not show the computer description).

I found a response to a similar question for Windows 7 or 8 that said the non-display of the computer description in the standard Windows folder was by design.  I never could understand why but the workaround was acceptable. 

Now the workaround does not work in Windows 10. 

Does anyone know how to display the computer description of networked computers in Windows 10?

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hello Rod,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

It would be grateful if you can reply to this question in order to assist you further:

1. Are you trying to see the description of other computers that are on the Network?
  2. What exactly are you trying to accomplish?
  3. Are your computers on a domain?

Please give us more information on what is the exact information you are looking for.

Thank You.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you for responding.

1.  Yes, I want to see the description of each of the computers on the network.  I do realize that the computers must not be in a sleep or suspend state.  This was available in XP.  In 7 and 8 the workaround was required.

2. The network names of the computers do not provide enough detail to know which computer to access to map a network drive to the desired data.

3. The computers are in a WORKGROUP, not a Domain.

If you have access to a Windows 8.1 system, with at least 2 computers in a WORKGROUP network, then if you create on your desktop a folder named Network.{208d2c60-3aea-1069-a2d7-08002b30309d} and open it you should see the information I want, providing that information was entered into the Computer Description.

Thank you

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

In WINDOWS 10 this no longer works.

Which build and version?  Lately this is clearly broken but I am astounded that it is not listed as one of the "known issues" of 11082.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/networked-pcs-are-no-longer-viewable-in-file/89fbf41d-e3b8-4df2-bf89-ecceb17adf4c

Also, it may help to know if you allow NetBIOS over TCP.  E.g. then you could get some hints from  nbtstat.exe

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Sorry this didn't help.

It works for me in Windows 10 Pro 1511 build 10586 on multiple machines. 

I did need to apply the sc.exe commands listed in link provided by Mr Aldwinckle to be able to see all my NAS devices though.

I have had many issues with build 11082 so I have not updated all my systems. I will wait for a later build.

Edit: It also works on build 11082.

Microsoft Community Contributor (MCC) 2011

Sorry this didn't help.

I ran across an old post that indicated the description can be displayed via the command

net view \\xxx            where xxx is the computer name.

This does work with Windows 10 thus showing that the information is available. 

While most certainly better than not having the information the issue remains why is this not available in the EXPLORER Network folder, or at least in the work around?

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I guess you missed my post.

It is available, it works for me in Windows 10 Pro 1511 build 10586 and 11082.

Happy New Year!

Microsoft Community Contributor (MCC) 2011

Sorry this didn't help.

why is this not available in the EXPLORER Network folder, or at least in the work around?

In fact, I am more likely to see the opposite--information in FE which is not available in any of the command line displays but then when I dig deeper it turns out it is just old information that has been cached somehow and is no longer really valid.

I can't remember where I recorded it but the best results I got was by always following net view with  net stop browser  (not bowser, trying that one caused a blue screen in 10586.36 (but not 11082), YMMV.)

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry, I should have responded to you.  I did see your post and retried the workaround on 10586.29 and 10586.36.  It still does not work for me.

When 11082 reaches the slow ring I will try it again.

Thank you for your response and Happy New Year to you.

Sorry this didn't help.

Tried the folder shortcut Network.{208d2c60-3aea-1069-a2d7-08002b30309d} in build 10586.63.  Does NOT work.

Sorry this didn't help.

You have just reminded me about God Mode.  

E.g. New Folder on Desktop:   God Mode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}

So, I guess the one that you are asking about is, in there,  View Network Computers and Devices

which looks the same as the Network node in the File Explorer Navigation pane.

I just looked at that using 11099.  I think it may be worse than 11082.  In Details view where Discovery was NetBIOS I don't see any addresses?  When Discovery was WSD it looks OK for my Surface RT 8.2 only.   E.g. the VM discovered itself with no MAC address and IP address is the IPv4 loopback!  Good grief.

But  net view  works.   Two steps backwards and one step forwards?

Ah.  My Surface RT is showing the same incomplete detail so maybe I am imagining a regression.   However, it had a bunch of updates today too.   <eg>

BTW I think that your more detail requirement could probably be addressed if the Computer items would be given a Properties command in their right-click menu.   Other objects in there have that, why not computers?

FYI

Robert
---

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 24, 2020 Views 2,399 Applies to: