Build 14915: Wi-Fi Failures Post-Install

Hello Windows Insiders,

After the release of build 14915 to to the Fast ring for PC yesterday, a Wi-Fi bug has been discovered that is impacting a subset of users. Please review the following:

• Surface Pro 1
  • Surface Pro 2
  • Wi-Fi adapters using early Marvell drivers
  • Various USB-based WiFi adapters
  • (There may be other similar drivers affected, research is ongoing)

You may review in Device Manager to see if your PC is affected.  You will see an icon on your Wi-Fi adapter similar to this:

The percentage of users impacted is limited, but for those affected, all Wi-Fi functionality is lost and there is no temporary fix to restore Wi-Fi on this build given the nature of the bug.  Affected users will need to use a wired connection if available or roll back to the previous OS version on their device to bypass this issue.

Our Engineering teams have quickly completed a root cause analysis of the issue and are working to get the fix checked-in to make it available in our next flight.

Thank you as always for the feedback that has been provided and for the quick efforts to share this issue with us. 

- Jason

Discussion Info

Last updated October 5, 2019 Views 3,809 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I don't understand how this could have gotten through your initial testing. Don't you all have any Surface Pro machines in your test suite? Connectivity is essential. I would think this would have been the first things discovered as a problem with the build.
Please affix this post to top of forum post if you can so more insiders can spot it
JMarco - ASUS K55-A laptop - Insider Build / Lenovo X1 - 19H1
I'm glad you're already working on this. Well, my laptop with a Ralink RT3290 802.11bgn Wi-Fi adapter is also suffering from this issue. Hope this can be fixed in the next build.
Note that Surface Pro 3 and 4 are not affected, also using (different) Marvell Soc's and drivers.

Well, the last bullet point is:

(There may be other similar drivers affected, research is ongoing)

so if other insiders do not have listed devices but are experiencing same issue they should report it in Feedback Hub

JMarco - ASUS K55-A laptop - Insider Build / Lenovo X1 - 19H1

Please affix this post to top of forum post if you can so more insiders can spot it

Jason should pin this.

Never Give Up!
Sure there may be similar drivers affected, but this is not my point. I said this issue did not affect the Surface 3 and 4.

Of course he should, shouldn't he? But you and I know he won't! So others will not search for information on this problem and it will slide down the pages quickly and out of sight. And I'm not pointing the finger at just Jason(MS). Other MS Mods have appeared, made one post, and then disappeared again. Not allowing others to ask questions of them. As Perreault says,

I don't understand how this could have gotten through your initial testing. Don't you all have any Surface Pro machines in your test suite? Connectivity is essential. I would think this would have been the first things discovered as a problem with the build.

Enough said.

Wired & Retired Old Mig15 pilot & build Monster
A whistleblower has told of the secret transfer to Google of healthcare data held by Ascension, the second-largest healthcare provider in the US.

I added the following info to an existing Feedback Hub post.

Same error on 802.11bgn 1T1R Wireless Adapter, which shows Ralink as manufacturer:

Event Log:

Device USB\VID_0DB0&PID_3871\1.0 was configured.

Driver Name: netr28ux.inf
Class Guid: {4d36e972-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
Driver Date: 04/21/2015
Driver Version: 5.1.22.0
Driver Provider: MediaTek, Inc.
Driver Section: OS61_RTWLANR_C7L.ndi.NT
Driver Rank: 0xFF0001
Matching Device Id: USB\VID_0DB0&PID_3871
Outranked Drivers:
Device Updated: false
Parent Device: USB\VID_04B4&PID_6560\6&41ff3ef&0&1

Device USB\VID_0DB0&PID_3871\1.0 had a problem starting.
Driver Name: netr28ux.inf
Class Guid: {4d36e972-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
Service: netr28ux
Lower Filters:
Upper Filters: vwifibus
Problem: 0x25
Problem Status: 0xC0010004

Don
I'm not on a Surface but have a TP-Link AC600 Archer T2U USB network adapter. It exhibits the same issues as is happening with the Surface. I plugged in my old adapter to get WIFI.