Windows update fatal error c000003a

Hi

I'm running windows preview build 10049 , I logged on today to find some updates needed installing , so I proceeded to update the laptop , updates installed and I restarted the laptop with no issues , a little later on I logged off ,shut down and went back to windows 8.1 partition , to find windows update on there was corrupt after running the fix it tool , which was repaired , so I decided to log back on to preview to check updates on that OS , however when I tried to start it up the laptop started updating windows which produced this error fatal error c000003a update operation 4931 of 48516 ( 528f03 ) , when eventually the laptop started in stated it was unable to add the features and undid any changes , and I'm not sure I understand whats been happening during this process besides the obvious , I checked todays updates

Security Update for Windows Technical Preview March Update for x64-based systems (KB3057424) updated successfully

Security Update for Windows Technical Preview March Update for x64-based systems (KB3058109) updated successfully

Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB2267602 (Definition 1.195.3766.0) X 3 ( ? )  updated successfully

had a quick look around the net and the only thing I can find is to do with windows 7 SP1

Any help would be appreciated

thank you ...

Question Info

Last updated April 25, 2019 Views 735 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10 Technical Preview.

I understand when your computer restarts it tried to install updates and fails with a code "c000003a"

This issue is caused due to broken or corrupt updates.

If you are able to boot to the computer please follow the below suggestion and check if it helps:

• Open the partition where Windows 10 Technical Preview is installed.
  • Now open Windows folder.
  • Look for WinSxS and open t he folder.
  • Now look for pending.xml files and delete it.

(IF you are unable to delete it try to add permission to that file and then delete it)

Now reboot the computer and check if it helps.

Please keep us updated.

Vinz

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.