Windows 10 Technical Preview Build 9860 fails, 0xC1900200, 0x8024200D, 0x80246007

I have been having the same issue all week.

I am the only account on the machine (physical machine only OS on it), full admin.

I have allowed the machine to try to upgrade on its own unattended it will go to the message in step 2.

I have tried clean boot.

I have tried with Bitlocker off.

Not on a domain.

Here is my process:

1: Go to PC Settings/Update and Recovery/Preview builds check now for updates runs on its own. Click download now, wait 3 hours.

2: Click install now wait 1-2 minutes for bar across screen stating: Couldn’t install Windows Technical Preview   We couldn’t update the system Reserved partition. Click close, wait 20-30 seconds on the PC Settings screen until error shows up there: Failed to install the new preview build, please try again later 0xC1900200.

3: On the same PC Settings/Update and Recovery/Preview screen click install now, wait 1 second get error: Failed to install the new preview build, please try again later 0x8024200D.

4: Click Install now again get error: Failed to install the new preview build, please try again later 0x80246007.

5: Step 4 will repeat until I exit PC Settings at which point I return to step 1.

I am less concerned with getting the update installed quickly and more interested in working out a solution, so I am willing to attempt multiple fixes. It seems to me that many others are having this same problem or a variation of the same problem, and I believe that wiping the drive and doing a clean install then upgrading is a poor solution.

EDIT 10-26-2014 

I saw this on a similar post:

I suggest you to try the following methods and check if it works for you.

Method 1:

If you have connected any external devices other than mouse and keyboard, then try disconnecting it and check if you are able to install the update or not.

Method 2:

Before install the Build-9860 update, try installing all the updates other than this and then restart the computer. Once after restarting the computer, try installing the build-9860 update.

Method 3:

If you have installed any third party security software on your computer, then try disabling it and then try to install the update and check if the issue persists.

Disclaimer: Disable Antivirus\Firewall temporarily and then check for the issue. Sometime they
might conflict. Please make sure that you enable the antivirus software\firewall after performing the test to keep your computer protected.

MY results:

Method 1:   Only mouse(laptop has a keyboard), even unplugged second monitor no difference.

Method 2:   Check. No updates available, Java and Adobe also up to date.

Method 3:   Only running MSE/Windows defender  and have tried disabling it, again no difference.

Thanks

EDIT    10-30-2014

from the thread here:  http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_tp-windows_update/while-trying-to-install-the-build-9860-update-for/a6cc0115-3766-493a-9d3d-24e32b4006b2

I did this:

If you are still facing the same issue, then I suggest you to reset Windows Update Components and check if it helps.

Follow the steps to reset Windows Update Components:

a. Open a command prompt. To do this, use one of the following methods, depending on your version of Windows:

From the Start screen, swipe in from the right side to display the charms, select Search, and then search for cmd. (Or, if you are using a keyboard and mouse, type cmd at the Start screen.) In the search results, press-and-hold or right-click Command Prompt, and then select Run as Administrator.

b. Stop the BITS service, the Windows Update service, and the Cryptographic service. To do this, at a command prompt, type the following commands. Make sure that you press Enter after you type each command. 

• net stop bits
  • net stop wuauserv
  • net stop appidsvc
  • net stop cryptsvc
c. Delete the qmgr*.dat files. To do this, at a command prompt, type the following command, and then press Enter:

Del "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\Microsoft\Network\Downloader\qmgr*.dat"

d. If this is your first attempt at resolving your Windows Update issues by following the steps in this article, you should skip step 4 and go to step 5. You should follow step 4 at this point in the troubleshooting only if you cannot resolve your Windows Update issues after you follow all steps except step 4. (Step 4 is performed by the "Aggressive" mode of the Fix it Solution that was mentioned earlier.)

1. Rename the software distribution folders backup copies. To do this, at a command prompt, type the following commands. Make sure that you press Enter after you type each command.
    • Ren %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.bak
    • Ren %systemroot%\system32\catroot2 catroot2.bak

e. Restart the BITS service, the Windows Update service, and the Cryptographic service. To do this, at a command prompt, type the following commands. Make sure that you press Enter after you type each command.

• net start bits
  • net start wuauserv
  • net start appidsvc
  • net start cryptsvc

f. Restart the computer and then check for the Build-9860 update.

Please reply with the status of the issue so that we can help further to fix this issue.

Thanks,

Basith M – Microsoft Support

Results  both without and then again with step 4 (d) = no change.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

The same happens in my case too, after downloading the update, it starts installing, after a minute or so it says "Can't update system reserved partition" , after that if i press install again it throws error code 0x8024200D and on third and further tries it gives the 0x80246007 error.

I installed the Technical preview as the second OS, dual booted it with 8.1 so maybe it's somehow related to this ?

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I had this prob and after multiple update tries finally found this thread. I unplugged my external hard drive, rebooted, clicked search, typed "pc settings", clicked update and chose builds. Finally downloaded and installed without a hitch. But seriously, couldn't Microsoft have an intern type a few lines of code saying "Disconnect all peripheral drives before installing this update"? 

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Failed to install the new preview build,please try again later.
0x8024200D

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I also get this same error, along with a message that states that Windows Technical Preview cannot be installed on a virtual hard drive.  And, yet, I already have it installed on a virtual hard drive.

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi !

I managed to solve this problem by increasing the size of the system reserved partition (from 300mb to 1gb) with a third party application (free partition wizard). And then install the last build from the iso found here : http://windows.microsoft.com/fr-fr/windows/preview-iso with an usb key.

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi !

I managed to solve this problem by increasing the size of the system reserved partition (from 300mb to 1gb) with a third party application (free partition wizard). And then install the last build from the iso found here : http://windows.microsoft.com/fr-fr/windows/preview-iso with an usb key.

That would not work for me.  I finally had to move the installation onto a partition and out of the Virtual Hard Drive.  I now have Linux running on a Virtual Hard Drive while I have the Preview in the place of the former Linux partition.

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks a lot

Removed my mouse's nano receiver and it worked like a charm

Now I'm on build 9926

Looking good!

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I ejected integration services disk I had since im running this on hyper v so maybe you have a mounted iso or some other media. Incase anybody is also running this on hyper v. you have to remove the mounted iso img w.e from the hyper v server settings because if you eject it form windows it gives an additional error. but anyways my 2 cents see fi this helps

·

Sorry this didn't help.

This worked for me also. Removed the nano receiver and it installed without any difficulties.

·

Sorry this didn't help.

i wanted to install windows 10 to and i got the same error

i fixed it by doing this:

first install all updates but not windows 10

then, unplug all usb cables you don't need

restart the computer, go to windows update in the control panel en click update windows 10 and it just updated itself!

if this doesn't work then i have no idea anymore!

☺☺☺☻☻☻

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated June 26, 2018 Views 26,154 Applies to: