Windows 10, Surface Pro 3 overheating again after July firmware update

Closing the lid puts my Surface Pro 3 to sleep (temporarily at least).  Whenever I take it out of my bag (after an extended stay), or leave it unplugged, I find the screen is displaying, fan is on, and Surface Pro 3 is HOT.  I have this problem when I originally purchased my Surface Pro 3 a while ago, but a firmware update fixed it.  Now with Windows 10 (and the July firmware update), it's back!

I've already looked at my power management (it has never changed from Windows 8.1).  Anyone else seeing this (doesn't seem to happen if I leave it plugged in but not sure)?

(I was going to post this under the Surface Pro 3 but since it returned with the release of Windows 10, thought this would be the best place).

Question Info

Last updated July 11, 2019 Views 7,337 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hello,
Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I request you to follow the steps below:
1. Press “Windows” + “X” and select Control Panel.
2. Open Power options.
3. Click on the "Change Plan Settings" under the selected power option.
4. Click on "Change Advanced Power Settings".

5. Select the options for Power Buttons and Lid. Make changes and check.

I hope this helps. If you have any further query, feel free to post. We will be happy to help you.

Thank you.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I'm still on Windows 8.1 and yesterday evening the the SP3 got so hot it shut itself off.  I had been working away somewhat oblivious.  Not doing anything computer intensive (in fact, using Remote Desktop Connection so the work was being done by the server PC).  I was working in a quiet area and had noticed that the fan was running.  At first when it shut down (screen just went to black with no notice), I didn't realize what had happened.  Naturally, I tried to restart by pressing the power button - Nothing.  I assumed the worst, a total surface failure.  Switched to an older laptop to finish what I was doing.  Next morning, pickup up the surface and tried the power button.  Came right up like nothing unusual had happened the night before.  About the only remnant of the event was Chrome telling me that it had shut down improperly and "did I want to restore to where I left off?".  Did some work for about 45 minutes then noticed that the fan was running again.  Felt the back side of the Surface and discovered it was quite hot!  Decided to turn it off to cool.  As it was turning off it decided that it needed to do an upgrade.  I was worried that it wouldn't make it through the upgrade but, thank goodness, it completed and shut down.  I'm working on the Surface this evening (even as I type this) and it's running fine??  In fact, no fan and quite cool to the touch.  Perplexing.  I googled this just in case others might be having an overheat issue because of some update feature.  At this point, I believe my best course of action is to keep an eye on it and be aware should the Surface get hot again.

Sorry this didn't help.

My surface pro 3 is getting hot since some of the last updates, I reinstall all the last drivers but this not fix the problem.

Even I take the choice of downgrade to Windows 8.1 but the problem remains.

Please take a look on the last firmware update and try to fix the problem that is creating this overheat, I will stop to use my SP3 until Microsoft solve the problem.

I choose to replace my Windows RT surface for this Surface Pro 3 because the great experience and the increase on my productivity with this RT version, the Surface RT was perfect but not this SP3, too many problems and too many improvisations.

Update.

After a downgrade to Windows 8.1 I reinstall from zero the Windows 10, this time everything looks good the heating problem disappear.

Update, September 4

After the installation and first running of Autocad the Surface start to overheat again, the problem is that, the Autocad activates the Video Acceleration automatically, after close the Autocad the video acceleration remains on, after deactivates the video acceleration inside the Autocad application the problem was solved.

I think that was the original problem, in my first Windows 10 installation, I use Autocad but at this moment I didn't notice the problem.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I also "upgraded" to Window 10 a few weeks ago, experienced the same problems: decreased battery life, SP3 running MUCH hotter, and finding it running with the fan on despite putting it to "sleep." Unable to find a solution so simply returned to Win 8.1.

I liked many of the new features in Win10, but not willing to put up with running too hot, or finding that it's ON despite closing the type-cover and putting it to sleep. Too bad ... really liked Win10.

So I guess the question is: does Microsoft care enough about this relatively small user group - SP3 enthusiasts - to fix the problem? Hoping for the best, but prepared for the worst (keeping Win8.1

Would  be very grateful if anyone finds a solution. 

Sorry this didn't help.

Still not fixed after latest updates!  When I open the cover, the Surface Pro 3 is running (and hot) even  though I turned it off.  Isn't this degrading my surface pro 3?  Needs to get fixed.  Not the first time MS has had this problem with the Surface Pro 3 so why did it re-appear?  Would have thought this had been tested since Windows 10 and Pro 3 are both MS products...

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the exact same problems (overheating, not sleeping, fan noise, won`t boot due to overheating etc.) on my Surface Pro 1. Tried both upgrade and clean install and got the same bad results both times. I`m going back to 8.1.

Sorry this didn't help.

SO: When will Microsoft correct these problems? Or can we assume that, because the Surface community is so small relative to the rest of the Windows world, they will simply ignore this?

This is hugely disappointing, as the Surface Pro 3 is BY FAR the best all-round solution - powerful, ultra-portable, gorgeous engineering and execution, with a great screen.

Hello ... Microsoft? Are you listening?

6 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

We apologize for the delay in response. I can imagine the inconvenience you have experienced. I would suggest you to refer the methods and check if it helps in resolving the issue.

Refer to the article for more information:

View CPU utilization and other performance information

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows/view-cpu-utilization-performance-information#1TC=windows-7

The article is for Windows 7 but the information applies to Windows 10 also.

Method 1:

You may follow these steps and try to run the System Maintenance troubleshooter:

1. Press Windows key + X on the keyboard.
  2. Click on Control panel.
  3. Type “Troubleshooting” without quotes in the Control panel search box.
  4. Click on Troubleshooting and click on View all.
  5. Click on System Maintenance troubleshooter and follow the on-screen instructions.

Method 2:

Step 1:

Start your computer in safe mode and check if the issue persists:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-10/changing-the-start-up-settings-in-windows-10#v1h=tab01

Step 2:

If it works fine in safe mode, perform clean boot to check if any third party application is causing the issue, as clean boot helps in eliminating software conflicts.

How to perform a clean boot in Windows

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

Note: After troubleshooting, see the section “How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot” to return the computer to a Normal startup mode.

I hope this information helps. Please do let us know if you need any further assistance.

Sorry this didn't help.

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my Surface Pro 3 has been crashing with video errors (both before and after the firmware upgrade) or it just crashes with a blue screen and no error message. It is also overheating any time I use it for for more than a couple of hours, this had never happened before Windows 10.  Do I have to go back to Windows 8.1 so that I can get my functionality back?

Sorry this didn't help.

I've tried these options.  I did not, at this point, have to try the "clean boot" option.  The instructions in your link on that do not include Windows 10, btw.  

I so want you guys (Microsoft) to be better than this.  The Surface Pro 3 has been amazing in so many ways and so glitchy in others.  I bought a two year service contract when I bought the thing but if I call the support number or go into the support desk at the (very few and far away) stores people simply aren't trained or don't know how to handle the issues.  I'm getting pretty tempted to get out of this and move into the Dell environment, again.  It is a bummer, actually.  I feel always wary of making any changes because they are always fraught with issues.  This one was a part of a Windows 10 upgrade that I'd avoided for months knowing there would be issues.  

Anyway .... it is still running hot.  The fan is still running.  I don't know what else to try at this point.  It is my one and only tool as an independent contractor so I rely on it heavily.  

Did I mention that you guys should be better than this?

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.