Windows 10 - Some Websites Won't Load and Windows Update Not Working

I just upgraded to Windows 10 and my computer is now less functional.

I have internet connectivity (home WiFi), but certain webpages won't load at all, including basic ones (e.g. Hulu.com) and web searches for solutions to this problem.  This occurs regardless of the browser (Chrome, Firefox, IE, Edge).

Also, Windows update is not functioning.  I don't know if it is related, but I obviously want to get Windows updates. 

I've checked the firewall settings and they seem to be correct.

I've tried rebooting the computer and the router, multiple times, with no effect.

Thanks for your help.  

NOTE:  I do not know if the Category or Product auto-selected below are correct.  I don't know what "Windows Insider" refers to, but none of the other available Categories or Products are appropriate either.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Did you get any web page?

Did you go to Settings, Network & Internet and see if you were connected?

-----------
If this answers your question - Then mark it so. Then others may find it.
---------------
Around computers
since 1952
lacrumb

17 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Laurence,

Thanks in advance for the help.

Yes, I can get some webpages (gmail, Facebook, search results), but not others.  

Yes, I am connected to the Internet. 

I have also tried the Network and Internet troubleshooting fix within Windows but it found no problem.  That is not surprising because I have Internet access, but simply not for all webpages.

In Settings > Windows Updates, no updates have ever been installed.  It indicates that an error occurred (0x8024402f) and to try later.  I've re-tried multiple times over two days with the same error message.

I have also downloaded the Windows 10 Update troubleshooter application (using another computer, since the computer will not load any Microsoft Support or Community webpages), transferred and ran it from my computer, but without success.  The troubleshooter indicated that it fixed a problem, but the Windows update continues not to work and gives the same error message (0x8024402f).

Again, thanks for your help.

42 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for posting as I am having exactly the same problems and like you I have tried many things!  I have just managed to do the updates on my laptop by connecting with Ethernet (and of course the internet works just fine this way) but unfortunately this hasn't made any difference to the problems connecting via wifi.(some websites still open fine, some don't and haven't been able to do updates via wifi).  Very frustrating. 

I am at the point where I think I may have to go back to 8.1 unless Microsoft can come up with a solution pronto.  It has been suggested to me to do this and then do a clean install but everything else is working well - I am worried about the same or other issues coming up if even if I go to the trouble of rolling back - also worried a new install will cause me a problem... I am hoping Microsoft will take note and provide some solutions....

44 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Nonnatus,

I have Dell support and they could not figure out why this was happening on my computer.

The only solution I found was to re-install a clean version of Windows 8.1, run all 193 Windows updates (with multiple reboots) and then install a clean version of Windows 10.    

Of note:

Because there may have been corrupted files in my Windows 8.1, an upgrade could have carried over those corruptions to Windows 10, so a clean install was needed.  

I could not roll back to 8.1 (despite Microsoft assurances that I could), so Dell sent me a Windows 8.1 install on USB media.  I also downloaded a Windows 10 install on USB media myself from Microsoft.

After the Windows 8.1 was re-installed and all the updates made, I looked for the confirmation that I was now Windows 10 eligible (icon in lower right tray).  When it didn't appear, I ran a troubleshooter which told me that a key needed Windows update (KB2976978) was not installed, although I confirmed it was.  I also searched the Microsoft site for solutions on this point without success. I decided to run the Windows 10 install anyway, and it was successful.  

I also noted an odd thing with the Windows OS Product ID.  Being cautious, when I did the original upgrade to Windows 10, I took down the Product ID info (Under /Control Panel/System and Security/System.  However, during the second Windows re-install/set-up, it would not accept this Product ID and responded that zeros and ones (0 and 1) were not acceptable digits for the Product ID. Luckily, it allowed me to continue the set-up through to successful completion without entering it.  After install, a Product ID was "magically" in place (not by me) and Windows was activated.  Of note, this Product ID also had zeros and ones (0 and 1) .

Because I did a clean install, I made sure to first back up all my files on an external hard drive, since all this data would be overwritten.  Don't forget to do the same.

Best of luck with finding solutions.  

A clean install may be your best option.  It may also be your only option.

Rene

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for your reply and information Rene - I think you are right.  I was hoping for a magic patch or update or solution!  I also have Dell support and spent a long time on the phone trying to sort things out yesterday without success.  Seems like this problem has caused an awful lot of time and aggravation for some of us!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I had the same issue but after hours of searching, this fixed it for me :) 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htybu4-UEHY

473 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks this seems to have helped.  My sites were loading incredibly slowly.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I had the exact same issue after upgrading to Windows 10. A clean install, disabling the firewall - all that did not fix it. What solved it for me was re-installing the driver for the wireless. 

14 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I had the same problem and did not find a solution. The laptop works with WIN10 on all websites, the PC does not. I rolled back to 8.1. and now everything works ok. I have to add that I upgraded to WIN10 with the PC before Microsoft told me the update was ready, and there may have been Intel driver issues, showing this weird behavior.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This is exactly my situation and solution, less the second clean install of Windows 10.  Many of the websites that I use for work (real estate) were simply not ready for users to have Windows 10.  I will reinstall once they give the thumbs up.  On the upside the process, though time consuming, cleaned up my laptop so I am ready for the upgrade when they are.  My concern now is Windows tells me to reserve my upgrade while it is free.  How do you reserve Windows 10 for later installation?

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 10, 2023 Views 89,925 Applies to: