Windows 10 Insider Update

Having upgraded a Windows 7 Pro SP1 and a Windows 8.1 Pro with ISO 10162 with all of the other software for the various PC's and Desktops, everyone ran well without any problems with the Update function of 10162 which included all of the current Microsoft updates. My question for this post, on the 29th of July or when ever Microsoft releases Insider version of the final new Windows 10 software, will it be possible to just do updates to the various PC's and Desktops that were built with 10162, or do we have to go back and run the new Microsoft 10 release and upgrade the 10162 to it's final new build? 

I would assume if the new software is released and that 10162 did all of the checking for compatibility, that when the upgrade for Windows 10 final version releases, that all of the previous hardware will upgrade again without any problems.

Your thoughts? 

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

Yes, once Microsoft releases it's final version of Windows 10 you will be able to install/ upgrade it on computer.

Please refer the link below for more information.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki/insider_wintp-insider_install/frequently-asked-questions-windows-10/5c0b9368-a9e8-4238-b1e4-45f4b7ed2fb9

I would also like to inform you  that new build 10166 is released for PC. Please install the latest build if you have not.

http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/07/09/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-10166/

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need any further assistance.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Sara;

First thank you for your fast reply. To clarify this subject further. If the operating systems that are being upgraded with Windows 10 Build 10162 for both Windows 7 Pro SP1 and Windows 8.1 Pro, does all of my activations for these devices move forward and become Windows 10 activation codes?

When I upgrades all my hardware devices with Build 10162, it never asked me for a new product key. So I need to know when we get the RTM for Windows 10, will all of the hardware I've upgraded, will the activation keys move forward and be good for the life of this device?

When you say in your message we can do upgrade/install, do you mean we have to use the new ISO for RTM Windows 10? Another words we can't just bring up the 10162 builds and use the Microsoft Update feature from within the Operating System and update?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

What happens to my previous operating system when I upgrade to Windows 10?

Windows 10 replaces your previous version of Windows by moving it to the Windows.old folder. Windows 10 becomes the default operating system.

When I upgrade a preinstalled (OEM) or retail version of Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 license to Windows 10, does that license remain OEM or become a retail license?

If you upgrade from a OEM or retail version of Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 to the free Windows 10 upgrade this summer, the license is consumed into it. Because the free upgrade is derived from the base qualifying license, Windows 10 will carry that licensing too.

Your Windows 7 license will always be valid and will not be changed or deactivated because of the upgrade to Windows 10: you'll be able to install or restore Windows 7 again in case you'll need to do that (provided that you've the Windows 7 installation DVD

You will not have to use ISO for RTM Windows. You will have to install the Windows 10 update from within the Operating system.

Please do let us know if you any further queries, we will be happy to assist you .

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Sara, again thank you for your fast response. You said: " Windows 10 replaces your previous version of Windows by moving it to the Windows.old folder. Windows 10 becomes the default operating system."

If Windows 10 install and runs without any problems, can I remove the "windows.old" folder? This would give back hard drive space because I would no longer need to go back to and old operating system.

If I can remove the "windows.old" folder, are there any other areas I can also remove that reflect the older version that has been upgraded.

What I have found so far from building a Windows 8.1 Pro system with Office 2013, along with other software for the installation, the total size after the upgrade with build 10162 the Windows 10 system now is about 19GB. That's pretty good for the new environment, so if I can remove the "windows.old" folder my operating system should remain in the 19GB storage area.

Do you agree with this?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi

I have the same questions, actually I have the build 10.0.10240 apparently it's the RTM version or similar, and I have the Windows.old folder that has a size about 13 GB. All is running very well, then I want to remove it, I can do it? How I can delete it?.

Thanks in advance for the answer.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

How to remove the Windows.old folder

Applies to Windows 8.1, Windows RT 8.1

If you upgraded to Windows 8.1 from Windows 8.1 Preview or to Windows RT 8.1 from Windows RT 8.1 Preview, some files used by your previous version of Windows will be left in the Windows.old folder. These files will be automatically removed within 28 days of upgrading, or you can use Disk Cleanup to remove them yourself.

Warning

• Before you use Disk Cleanup, make sure that all of your files and settings are where you expect them to be. Deleting the Windows.old folder can’t be undone.
  1. Open Control Panel by swiping in from the right edge of the screen, tapping Search (or if you're using a mouse, pointing to the upper-right corner of the screen, moving the mouse pointer down, and then clicking Search), entering Control Panel in the search box, and then tapping or clicking Control Panel.
  2. In the Control Panel search box, type Admin, tap or click Administrative Tools, and then double-tap or double-click Disk Cleanup.
  3. If you're prompted to choose a drive, select the drive that you just installed Windows on, and then tap or click OK.
  4. In the Disk Cleanup dialog, tap or click Clean up system files.

If you're again prompted to choose a drive, select the drive you just installed Windows on, and then tap or click OK.

1. Select the Previous Windows installation(s) check box, and any other check boxes for the files you want to delete, and then tap or click OK.
  2. In the message that appears, tap or click Delete files.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks this option help me deleting almost all the files, but the Windows.older folder itself still be there, if I try to delete it Windows generates an error message. I tried with elevated permissions but the error persists, I can't delete that folder.

Again thanks for your quick answer, and to everyone in this community, the Windows 10 build 10240 it's working so nice, totally recommended 😉👍

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Try the suggestions by Charlie Dude from this link.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/unable-to-completely-delete-windowsold/d64a0d4f-f496-4940-bb73-4fda96dea24e

Note: Through the suggestions are for Windows 7 operating system, they are applicable to your scenario.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

or use ccleaner and click old windows
if its not broke don't fix it

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 2, 2021 Views 3,460 Applies to: