Selective Updating In Windows 10 Technical Preview

Has anyone else requested the ability to select which updates to install in Windows 10 Tech Preview?  I would like this ability because numerous times there are a large number of updates available and one of them causes the update mechanism to fail.  If we could get the ability to select which updates to install, we could troubleshoot which update is causing the problem.  I've asked a couple of times in the feedback, but was wondering if anyone else has asked.  For instance, the last 10 times I have tried to update, it has failed.  I believe one of the updates for the Office 2007 suite is causing the problem, but I don't know which one.  Here's a screengrab of my desktop showing which updates are trying to download/install.

Has anyone else requested the ability to select which updates to install in Windows 10 Tech Preview?  I would like this ability because numerous times there are a large number of updates available and one of them causes the update mechanism to fail.  If we could get the ability to select which updates to install, we could troubleshoot which update is causing the problem.  I've asked a couple of times in the feedback, but was wondering if anyone else has asked.  For instance, the last 10 times I have tried to update, it has failed.  I believe one of the updates for the Office 2007 suite is causing the problem, but I don't know which one.  Here's a screengrab of my desktop showing which updates are trying to download/install.

Hi

In Build 9926, you can still add Windows Update component in Control Panel. This will allow you to Hide and Uninstall updates the same way you did in previous versions of windows.

1. Open the Registry Editor. Press the WinKey+R to display the Run dialog and type  regedit.exe. Click OK to open the Registry Editor.

2. Navigate to the following Key.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/WindowsUpdate/UX

3. In the UX key right click the IsConvergedUpdateStackEnabled value and select Modify.

Set the value to 0 (zero) and click OK.

4. Click the Settings key in the same location. Right click the UxOption value and select Modify. Set this value to 0 (zero) and click OK.

5. Open Control Panel and you should see the Windows Update again.

You can then use Windows Update to selectively install / Uninstall updates and Hide updates that you do not want to install.

In future builds, this capability will be added to Settings/Update and Recover.

Regards

MVP 1999 - Present
Windows Insider MVP

Ok at least your suggestion got me to the point where I'm now Downloading a new build.

Wish me luck.

It throws an error while updating the value.

cannot edit IsConvergedUpdateStackEnabled : error writing   the value's new content.

What to do?

Thanks,

Shailesh

Almost 6 months (and a dozen builds) later and still cannot selectively update.  I have done a search for "windows update component" with no results.  It's not a part of the add or remove programs screen like in older control panels and I shouldn't have to resort to registry hacks in order to do something as simple as NOT install an update, even if the hack does work (see Shailesh Awasthi's comment below)

It throws an error while updating the value.

cannot edit IsConvergedUpdateStackEnabled : error writing   the value's new content.

idem

I know this is a really old thread by now, but I just wanted to say that this workaround does not seem to work in version 1511 (Build 10.0.10586) of Windows 10 Pro.  I was able to get the reg values changed after taking ownership of them.  Windows kept changing the UxOption back to 2 until I removed the permission to change it from SYSTEM.  Even confirming that the values are still set as above, and restarting more than once, there is no old-style selectable update feature available in the Control Panel.  Looks like they patched that workaround hole. Much to my dismay.

Discussion Info

Last updated September 25, 2020 Views 3,915 Applies to: