Release Preview: 14393.222 CU Available (and possible issue installing)

There is a new update for Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB3194496).

This brings you to build 14393.222. This is only available if you are an insider that has release preview.

Update October 6, 2016: Official Fix

Microsoft has issued an official script here that will fix this problem.  The previous workarounds are still listed below.

Previous Workaround Solutions

If it cannot install the update and rolls back (you'll see "undoing changes..." followed by another reboot), here are verified solutions:

1. Bypass Windows Update by installing the latest version directly [Simple]
    Solution posted by Sean8102 on October 1st (page 16)
    Go to the Get Windows 10 webpage and click download tool now.  When you run the tool, select "Upgrade This PC Now" and choose to keep everything (files, apps, and settings).  This will apply the update directly without impacting any of your installed programs at all.  You can also use the tool to create a bootable USB stick and install from that, but no USB stick is necessary if you use the "Upgrade This PC Now" option.

2. Remove Tasks and Registry for Tasks that that Block The Update [Advanced]
    Solution posted by TomislavRex on October 3rd (page 23 with additional details on page 29)
    Deleted all references to task  \Microsoft\XblGameSave\XblGameSaveTask in the System32 folder, AND all traces of them from the registry (in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\TaskCache tree.  Noted that deleting some of these involved changing ownership of the keys. The tasks have been recreated during the installation of the update.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Is not a few number buta a large number of users who are suffering with this build KB3194496.

Myself I am very upset with it my computer is always rebboting and reverting changes

There is a new update for Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB3194496).

This brings you to build 14393.222. This is only available if you are an insider that has release preview.

Possible Solutions

If it cannot install the update and rolls back (you'll see "undoing changes..." followed by another reboot), here are verified solutions:

1. Bypass Windows Update by installing the latest version directly [Simple]
    Solution posted by Sean8102 on October 1st (page 16)
    Go to the Get Windows 10 webpage and click download tool now.  When you run the tool, select "Upgrade This PC Now" and choose to keep everything (files, apps, and settings).  This will apply the update directly without impacting any of your installed programs at all.  You can also use the tool to create a bootable USB stick and install from that, but no USB stick is necessary if you use the "Upgrade This PC Now" option.

2. Remove Tasks and Registry for Tasks that that Block The Update [Advanced]
    Solution posted by TomislavRex on October 3rd (page 23 with additional details on page 29)
    Deleted all references to task  \Microsoft\XblGameSave\XblGameSaveTask in the System32 folder, AND all traces of them from the registry (in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\TaskCache tree.  Noted that deleting some of these involved changing ownership of the keys. The tasks have been recreated during the installation of the update.
Nothing of these solutions work

I tried several time to update my desktop PC. With no success. 

"Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB3194496)

update failed. Sept. 28. 2016"

KB3194496 failed 3 times yesterday on my Desktop I think I will try again later today just to see what happens. :)

I have failed more than 30 times

Is not a few number buta a large number of users who are suffering with this build KB3194496.

Myself I am very upset with it my computer is always rebboting and reverting changes

There is a very simple fix for this issue and another used by other users.

The fix I used on 3 PCs is to get Anniversary ISO and re-install W10. As of today, there is also an 14931 ISO.  Lots of info about the fixes on this thread.

Mel

Microsoft broke this, Microsoft should fix this.  This has been over a week and most posts have been do it yourself BS.  Make two registry edits and call me in the morning.  MS has to get their act together on QA.  If they are going to force this stuff down our throat the better get this right.  This has failed on 1 out of 8 installs of the CU.  That's 50 million computers out of the 400 million running Windows 10 and still no fix.

Microsoft broke this, Microsoft should fix this.  This has been over a week and most posts have been do it yourself BS.  Make two registry edits and call me in the morning.  MS has to get their act together on QA.  If they are going to force this stuff down our throat the better get this right.  This has failed on 1 out of 8 installs of the CU.  That's 50 million computers out of the 400 million running Windows 10 and still no fix.

Read Ed Bott's article, which does a nice job of discussing several of the fixes described in this thread (seems to leave out the in-place repair upgrade by Media Creation Tool or mounted Windows .ISO, etc.).

http://www.zdnet.com/article/why-windows-10-cumulative-update-kb3194496-is-failing-and-how-you-can-recover/

According to Bott, Microsoft has now issued a script that will facilitate the repair.

I agree with Bott.  The two machines that I had that were affected were Windows 10 Pro machines that left the Windows Insider Fast Ringer at the time of the 1607 Anniversary Update in August.  A Windows 10 Home machine (Asus VivoTab Note 8) that was also on the Insider Fast Ring and was removed at the same time was not affected and upgraded to 14393.222 perfectly.  One Win10 Pro machine was rescued by the in-place repair upgrade (2.5 hrs to complete as it's an old 2011 laptop) and the other by the XlbGameSave fix.

So at least 3 fixes (maybe 4, if you count the MS script as a "new" option) are available that seem to rescue most of the people affected by the cumulative update.  Since Windows computers are complex beasts, there will always be situations where "none of the above" apply.

P.S. Add to this tally my wife's Windows 10 Home machine, always a production machine, which updated fine, too, to 14393.222.  Plus 1 more machine, TBA, I'm testing now.

Link to the official repair script from Microsoft https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=53942

My question is simple.

Do those of us that got the update finally installed

have to run this script fix?

I did not use the XblSave fix.

I tweeted Jason this question, so hoping for an answer tomorrow.

Please mark my posts as answers or helpful if they are.

My question is simple.

Do those of us that got the update finally installed

have to run this script fix?

I did not use the XblSave fix.

I tweeted Jason this question, so hoping for an answer tomorrow.

No.  The purpose of this is to allow the update to install successfully.  But it is surprising that the fix has not been more widely promoted.  It seems strange to hear about it's availability from the media instead of from Microsoft.

They seem to be portraying this as affecting a small number of PC's which were formerly on Insider Builds and then quit Insiders on that device.  The number of 14393.222 upgrade issues reported by non-Insider MSA's on the public Community Forum suggests otherwise. Microsoft supposedly has everyone's telemetry info to assess the actual impact.

Don

2012 Alienware Aurora R4 ALX
Intel i7-3960X, 32GB RAM, 250GB NVMe SSD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 690
I believe it came out within the hour or so ago.

Discussion Info

Last updated September 9, 2020 Views 54,546 Applies to: