Release Preview: 14393.222 CU Available (and possible issue installing)

There is a new update for Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB3194496).

This brings you to build 14393.222. This is only available if you are an insider that has release preview.

Update October 6, 2016: Official Fix

Microsoft has issued an official script here that will fix this problem.  The previous workarounds are still listed below.

Previous Workaround Solutions

If it cannot install the update and rolls back (you'll see "undoing changes..." followed by another reboot), here are verified solutions:

1. Bypass Windows Update by installing the latest version directly [Simple]
    Solution posted by Sean8102 on October 1st (page 16)
    Go to the Get Windows 10 webpage and click download tool now.  When you run the tool, select "Upgrade This PC Now" and choose to keep everything (files, apps, and settings).  This will apply the update directly without impacting any of your installed programs at all.  You can also use the tool to create a bootable USB stick and install from that, but no USB stick is necessary if you use the "Upgrade This PC Now" option.

2. Remove Tasks and Registry for Tasks that that Block The Update [Advanced]
    Solution posted by TomislavRex on October 3rd (page 23 with additional details on page 29)
    Deleted all references to task  \Microsoft\XblGameSave\XblGameSaveTask in the System32 folder, AND all traces of them from the registry (in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\TaskCache tree.  Noted that deleting some of these involved changing ownership of the keys. The tasks have been recreated during the installation of the update.

Was this discussion helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Some users are reporting (I got comments, confirming it within my German blog), deactivating the antivirus software (also Windows Defender) helped (especially on systems running Windows 10 Version 1607). Another option is try a manual install - see also my blog post (English).

Yes, this does not work...manual install fails, too.  There is a bug (or two!) in the update itself...unfortunately it is not an issue of merely a problem in the compression of the download, it doesn't appear.  Everything is wonky with this upgrade...downloaded the update hider from Microsoft--it tried to install anyway--and it's completely ignoring my "work hours" settings for this update.

There is a well publicized fix using the Media Creation Tool.  Just download to a stick or  to Drive C.  Select Setup, ask for updates and to keep your apps and files.

I used this on a Home and a Pro.  I also run an Enterprise which is not on the combo Home/Pro Media Creation Tool.  I have access to an ISO file for Enterprise and did the same procedure.

This is a very simple fix.  A couple of clicks and go for a walk. 

There is also a more involved but perhaps a faster fix using the Media Creation Tool.  I took the simple route and fixed a Home, Pro and an enterprise.

Mel

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Remind me again which Upgrade option you are referencing? Thanks.

It's called the Media Creation Tool.

Once downloaded, you can choose to Upgrade this PC,

but I believe one of the options is to make sure you

choose the check for updates.

If you didn't do that it wouldn't have found the KB

to update you to 14393.222.

Please mark my posts as answers or helpful if they are.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I used the media creation tool. must not be same version your guys are using. when I ran it, it downloaded everything ran a check for updates then prompted me with a screen to where I had three choices. keep personal files and apps, keep personal files only and nothing. it would only let me check the nothing square. I never got any options to chose from when first starting the program. I am afraid I will have to stop the process and just go back to an earlier time with my roll back program.

it also took me 1.5 hours just to download everything :-(

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks so much. I watched the process and did everything you mentioned. It did check for updates installed them by failed on the CU that would bring me up to 14393.222. I tried the manual update with the  CAB file same result. I guess I will have to play the waiting game for the fix from Microsoft.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I also tried the manual download and install, turn off AV, etc,.

No Joy.

Will have to wait for a formal fix.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

My windows 10 is completely unusable. It boots, it shows time and date. You press any key, the image goes up and there is nothing where to type the password so cannot login. Got only 4 buttons on the right bottom corner. Safe mode doesn't work, Shift + Restart doesn't work.

Boot from Windows 10 DVD works. Restore to a point week ago failed. Restore to previous build failed.

Trying to get Ubuntu Live to copy files and do Reset.

Is there any way to fix that without Reset Windows 10 ?

Any help appreciated.

Adam

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

My windows 10 is completely unusable. It boots, it shows time and date. You press any key, the image goes up and there is nothing where to type the password so cannot login. Got only 4 buttons on the right bottom corner. Safe mode doesn't work, Shift + Restart doesn't work.

Boot from Windows 10 DVD works. Restore to a point week ago failed. Restore to previous build failed.

Trying to get Ubuntu Live to copy files and do Reset.

Is there any way to fix that without Reset Windows 10 ?

Any help appreciated.

Adam

I had a W10 Home that could no install Office 2016.  Even Microsoft could not install and wanted to do a clean install.

I used Recovery and a Reset which offers to save personal files.  The issue with Office 2016 went away perhaps due to Settings.

Not sure if you have enough control to get to Recovery but all files were saved on my Recovery so just had to re-install apps.

Mel

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

According to some logs, apparently it's failing to delete a task with "Access is denied" error, and thus rolling back as a result. Try to delete it manually prior to installing the update if exists.

Task is \Microsoft\XblGameSave\XblGameSaveTask

Failed execution of queue item Installer: Task Scheduler ({...}) with HRESULT HRESULT_FROM_WIN32(145).  Failure will not be ignored: A rollback will be initiated after all the operations in the installer queue are completed; installer is reliable

Thank you, you led me to the solution.

After deleting all traces of these two tasks from the Tasks folder in System32, AND all traces of them from the registry (in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\TaskCache tree - NB: deleting some of these involved changing ownership of the keys) I have successfully updated to build 222. The tasks have been recreated during the installation of the update.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I tried this media  creation tool fix too. And indeed, the updates going to the latest windows version. However, after doing this I got problems with login with pincode (can not be activated again) and systemrestore program does not work either. from one problem to another. I did a complete image restore and hide KB3194496 update. What a drag this W10

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Fixed it, finally!  Downloaded the latest MediaCreationTool from Microsoft and told it to upgrade my Win10 installation to the latest...it did it all automatically, and when I was done I have .222.

No problems with authorization as of yet.  We shall see.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Discussion Info

Last updated February 2, 2021 Views 54,680 Applies to: