Regular build 1511 10686.420 cant install 14376 insider

I updated win 7.1 to 10 yesterday. I need this PC as a second test so set up insider fast ring. As expected after a couple of hours  I get the message 14376 is ready to install on the update page of settings. I click to install but after a short while get the message "can't install some updates because other updates in progress" No obvious sign of any other updates (although a definition update appeared to work). I downloaded the Update Troubleshooter Tool it stopped and started Wuauserv / Bits / Cryptsvc reporting that it has solved the problem. I restarted but the problem was not solved. I repeated the steps (1) with the Troubleshooter (2) manually via the CMD line (3) setting the services to automatic including Msiserver.

The PC is 64bit if that is relevant. I also have another PC 32 bit registered on the fast ring under the same MS account - I have had no recent glitches with this PC which I updated from 14372 to 14376 yesterday without a problem.

Please can anyone advise what I should do now

Question Info

Last updated May 18, 2018 Views 73 Applies to:

There is a tool to suppress unwanted updates temporarily at

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930

Run that and put checkmarks next to everything but the Insider build (if it appears).  

If you still think there is an issue, run the Windows Update troubleshooter (type "troubleshoot" in Cortana/Search).

Colin Barnhorst

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I probably was not very clear. I have changed my PC to Fast Insider Build. I so far in two days have been unable to install the Insider builds 14376 and now 14379. In both cases the install is blocked with the message.

can't install some updates because other updates in Progress

I have run the update Troubleshooter - which reports back that it has solved the problem , I have tried to do the instructions manually in the cmd line / I have tried it with one of my existing MS accounts, I have created a new MS account and tried it with that. Obviously there is a Setting Fault but I can't solve it. I could go back to non Insider PC but I am determined to identify the problem and solve this

Can anyone come up with an idea or is there a Support desk I can use to help me

Many thanks

Sorry this didn't help.

But did you run the Show and Hide Windows Updates tool I linked in my reply?  You may have to reboot afterwards to get full effect but probably not. 
Colin Barnhorst

Sorry this didn't help.

Colin thanks.

I have run tool it showed 3 updates which I ticked. These updates have never otherwise shown. Did not Show 14379. Tool reported success. I ran Update Trouble Shooter - again success reported. I rebooted (just in case). I ran Update again . 14379 appeared for download and then stopped with the problem as before.

can't install some updates because other updates in Progress

I am at a loss. This may have occurred through switching from regulat to Insider. This is a test PC so I can reinstall 10 or switch back to regular from Insider. I would like to identify and solve Problem.

Any other ideas welcome.

Sorry this didn't help.

Don't try to identify and fix.  Just report the problem via the Feedback app.  This is beta software.  You report, Microsoft fixes.  You are chasing a problem in beta software, not final software.  Not a good idea.
Colin Barnhorst

Sorry this didn't help.