PC Build 15007: Download stuck at 0%

Hello Insiders!

With the release of 15007, some users are seeing their build download get "stuck" at 0% for very long periods of time.  Some users are fixed by simply rebooting their PC, however other users find that they remain in the same "stuck"state.

We are actively investigating this situation to uncover what the issue may be.  While we are investigating, please do open Feedback Hub and upvote the existing feedback related to this issue.  This will help us assess the scope of the issue and it will also share additional logs to us that will assist with uncovering the issue.

As soon as we have any workaround steps or feedback, we'll post them here.  Stay tuned for additional updates.

Thank you as always!
Jason

Discussion Info

Last updated July 2, 2018 Views 14,105 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I had that stuck at 0% happen on my update to build 15007 but I had similar experience with update build 15002. So I just waited it out. Lucky my internet download speed averages 20+mbs. I opened task manager performance and would check it regularly to see if any download was taking place. When download did start it was consistent and pretty fast.

My recommendation is give an additional message when process starts that says

"MS is analyzing your computer update needs before download begins" 

JMarco - ASUS K55-A laptop i7 3630QM proc, 16gb ram, intel HD 4000 video, 240 gb SSD, a/c 7260 wifi, W10 Home 3rd party sft-Chrome,iTunes, VLC 4.0 nightly, Adobe Reader DC, Speccy, Kindle,firefox beta
If this is any help, I have a process called "Service host: Delivery Optimization" running at more than 20% CPU.

I have had problems accessing the entire Microsoft site with it many times coming up responsive.

Windows PowerShell
Copyright (C) 2016 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> ping microsoft.com
Pinging microsoft.com [23.96.52.53] with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Ping statistics for 23.96.52.53:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),
PS C:\WINDOWS\system32>

Windows PowerShell
PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> ping google.com
Pinging google.com [2607:f8b0:400a:806::200e] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 2607:f8b0:400a:806::200e: time=35ms
Reply from 2607:f8b0:400a:806::200e: time=36ms

Ping statistics for 2607:f8b0:400a:806::200e:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 35ms, Maximum = 36ms, Average = 35ms

And I ran FULL scans using both Windows Defender and Malwarebytes. I have rebooted several times and still having issues on 2 computers with the update. The ping to Microsoft is the same on all 3 of my computer

I have had problems accessing the entire Microsoft site with it many times coming up responsive.

Windows PowerShell
PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> ping microsoft.com
Pinging microsoft.com [23.96.52.53] with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Ping statistics for 23.96.52.53:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

Windows PowerShell
PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> ping google.com
Pinging google.com [2607:f8b0:400a:806::200e] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 2607:f8b0:400a:806::200e: time=36ms

Ping statistics for 2607:f8b0:400a:806::200e:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 35ms, Maximum = 36ms, Average = 35ms

And I ran FULL scans using both Windows Defender and Malwarebytes. I have rebooted several times and still having issues on 2 computers with the update. The ping to Microsoft is the same on all 3 of my computer

That isn't related to the issue mentioned about in the first post in this thread.

microsoft.com refers to the domain (several servers hosted here),  but it doesn't let ICMP packets pass through their firewall.

Besides, why are you pinging microsoft.com? microsoft.com does not host the flighting services..

Well if trying to get to this forum, the new Insider page or any part of the Microsoft site is a PROBLEM then that might be one area to look at!! I am not an inexperienced person guys.

I have no problems with any of the many other sites I have tried to access today. Only Microsoft and my update is sitting at 0% and my Task manager shows no traffic on my connection. It was ONE test I tried that failed!!

None of the services you mention are not hosted by microsoft.com.

microsoft.com hosts web servers over TCP port 80, 445 and other IPV4 ICMP requests are blocked by their firewall(s).

The flighting servers are cloud based, their hosts names are private, and they may move to other hosts at will..

Beside you should never rely on ping over the internet most internet routers block IPV4 ICMP as well.. 

Hello Insiders!

With the release of 15007, some users are seeing their build download get "stuck" at 0% for very long periods of time.  Some users are fixed by simply rebooting their PC, however other users find that they remain in the same "stuck"state.

We are actively investigating this situation to uncover what the issue may be.  While we are investigating, please do open Feedback Hub and upvote the existing feedback related to this issue.  This will help us assess the scope of the issue and it will also share additional logs to us that will assist with uncovering the issue.

As soon as we have any workaround steps or feedback, we'll post them here.  Stay tuned for additional updates.

Thank you as always!
Jason

I have this issue also on my new Dell Inspirion and contacted Microsoft Help Desk about it. They attempted several repair procedures on my PC with no positive results. There doesn't appear to be any Windows Update issue. I also removed my Norton Security in case that was an issue with no change in update behavior. I've also noticed that Windows Explorer is tending to hang/reset for no apparent reason, don't know if that is related or not. I have also had a couple of system failures requiring Windows to report the issue and restart the computer. Possibly related? Other issues such as Device Manager not removing devices when requested to do so and failing to remove drivers when requested to do so. Perhaps these seemingly unconnected problems do have a common issue point?

As I reported via Feedback Hub, I updated 2 desktops from 15002 to 15007 last night.  Both stalled, one for 2 hours, the other for 3 before doing the actual download.  I didn't reboot or in any way tweak my systems, and finally after 2-3 hours, they did the download followed by the successful upgrade to 15007.  After the upgrade finished, I haven't found any problems at all, but that 2-3 hour delay for doing the downloads is definitely a problem.  My guess is that the code in the new UUP is grossly inefficient and is in severe need of optimization.  Both of my desktops were burning CPU cycles at about a 40% rate during this 2-3 hour delay.  Look at that code, and I bet you'll find the culprit.

Thanks Hula_Baloo.

I've been trying for about an hour but am still at 0%.

I tried the ol' "Sign out, Sign in" thing, but that did not help this time; it has in the past.

Looking at Task Manager, "Service Host: Local System (19)" is staying around 40%, but bumped to 72-95% a moment ago. Looking at Wi-Fi, that bumped from 0 up to 500K - 1M for a few seconds (max for my internet 5Mps connection). And it just did it again, about a minute later.

Naturally, Windows Update is one of the 19 processes running in Local System.

I'll let it run overnight  overnight if I have to, I just need to change the power setting to stay on.

BoB

Note: I did let it run overnight and it finished & was waiting for me to logon.

One of the other processes in the above-mentioned "Service host: Local System" was "Delivery Optimization." I was not able to stop it specifically so I ended the entire Local System. It balked saying I would lose data, but I did it, anyway and then rebooted.

About an hour later, 15007 was at 50% downloaded but appeared frozen; I could not scroll the Update screen. I quit Settings, rebooted, repeated--and it did too, apparently freezing at 50% after about another hour.

Note: I only have a 5Mbps connection and am updating an Acer Iconia W4 8" tablet with a Z3740 CPU, 2GB, 64GB so am updating over Wi-Fi.

I restarted and let it run overnight and it was successful. My suspicion is that Settings was not 'frozen' per se, but that the download might've finished and it was 'getting ready to install', but was not able to display same.

So if it starts downloading, it may be a matter of time and patience to allow it to finish. Lots of hours, maybe 6-8.

The 'fun' of beta testing.  :)