Not getting build 14316 from Windows Update

I have followed the steps outlined to setup my Win 10 system for fast ring but am still not seeing build 14316. This is a fresh install of RS1 14295 that was built today. Does the SKU of windows matter as this is Enterprise?

Suggestions on what I'm overlooking or steps to troubleshoot this? 

Thanks,

Blake

Question Info

Last updated May 5, 2019 Views 14,176 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

If you did a fresh install it may take 24-48 hours for the new build to appear.
-----------
If this answers your question - Then mark it so. Then others may find it.
---------------
Around computers
since 1952
lacrumb

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Lawrence, I'm not getting 14316 either.  Been an Insider since the beginning and have installed every update along the way with no problem.  Been "Checking For Updates" many dozens of times since yesterday noon with no luck.  Update is working and has downloaded and installed several Defender updates since then.  Any idea what I might do to kickstart update?

26 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Same issue here.  I have been in the FAST ring for many months now but am not getting the 14316 update.  I am currently on build 14295.  Any suggestions or reasons for the delay?  Thanks.

Sorry this didn't help.

What a joke. Some of us have automated VM build systems to run. Do we know of a feature request or bug that I can reference? 

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I have had this happen from time to time too.  I was able to resolve it only by leaving and rejoining the Insider Program on that device, rejoining the Fast Ring and after a full Restart, leaving the device on overnight.  No amount of Restarts seemed to force the build to be offered in Windows Update without leaving it sit online for many hours waiting.

I put in a Windows Feedback bug report on this, complaining that it was never this difficult to get Insider Builds prior to July 2015.  Something about the way Windows Insider builds are offered in Windows Update changed after July 2015 and it has been an inefficient, frustrating and broken method of rolling out Insider Preview builds ever since.

Don

Sorry this didn't help.

One of the things I have done this morning, Don, is stop Preview Builds, Restart, resume Preview Builds, Restart. After doing this, I ran wushowhide to view available updates but 14316 not listed there yet.

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes, I went through the same process several builds ago and still had to wait overnight before it was offered.  For some reason, this time, build 14316 became immediately available to me as soon as it was announced.  Sometimes I have tried switching between Slow and Fast rings and then restart and leave the device on overnight before it will be offered.

As I said, it was not like this getting Insider Builds prior to last July's public rollout of Windows 10.  Something changed after that, in the way they filter in or out who they will offer Insider Builds to, and it became unreliable and inconsistent getting new builds.  Sometimes it works like it should, but often not and you can't fix things in a way that immediately forces the update to be offered.

It is frustrating not to be able to control this better.  I find that downloading a new build consumes all of my network bandwidth, to the point that no other computer in my house can do anything online.  Even websites will not open, or take forever, because there is not enough bandwidth to draw the page.  So I want to be able to have these updates download when nothing else is going on.  Unfortunately, you now never know for sure when the build will be made available and when it finally shows up, you likely have to cancel it until a more convenient time.

Don

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks Don, my experience mirrors yours.  We''ll see what happens tomorrow I guess and maybe my results will mirror yours again.

Sorry this didn't help.

I setup a powershell script to run on a loop to install updates. I'll just hammer the WU server until it complies. 

Sorry this didn't help.

Update -  Not sure if it was a coincidence or not, but after I went into advanced options and changed from FAST to SLOW, and then back again to FAST, and then after a restart, 14316 started downloading.  Thank you Don for suggesting this approach.  Maybe one day Microsoft will provide adequate monitoring tooling to track what is going on with both the update and install processes, so when there are issues, we can determine what is going wrong without a trial and error approach.   

Sorry this didn't help.