How to disable Windows Update in Windows 10 "Pro" RTM or build 10240?

Well, the issue is not of Windows 10 insider preview, rather its of Windows 10 build 10240/supposedly the RTM build. Had to select WIndows 10 Insider Preview, as there is no such "Windows Update" option for Windows 10, which only has "Reserve, Upgrade and Activate".

I have currently the permanently activated copy of Windows 10 "PRO" build 10240, but I am unable to disable the automatic updates, which was there in windows 8.1. I get only 2 options in the scroll, i.e. Automatically Update(recommended) and Notify Schedule to Restart. At the bottom, there is an option to select "defer upgrades", but not updates. I got that option ticked though. I have even disabled the windows update option from Group policy editor, Under Computer Configuration, Administrative templates, Windows components, Windows update and selected the 5th option. Now if i go to Windows update, I see that the options of "Automatically Update and "notify for restart" is disabled and in the above, in red letters it shows that "some settings are controlled by your organization". I have not linked my MS account for the OS(as i thought its an RTM build and lets disconnect).
Even now when i click on check updates, instead of checking for updates, it checks as well as downloads them. Under the updates, there is a link showing "details" which on clicking shows either "waiting for install" or "downloading" or error(if interrupted/disconnected) or "restart needed". There is no option to cancel that update. Unlike Windows 8.1, there is no option to see what updates are available and download the updates whichever you wish by ticking them. I knew that MS disabled selection of Windows update on Windows 10 Home editions, but I am unable to select them even in the PRO edition too. Please help.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Falguni,

I understand your concern, however you will not be able to disable automatic updates on Windows 10.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I often connect my laptop to wifi using my phone's wifi hotspot. I have limited data on my cell plan, and don't want updates to download while on this connection. How do I deal with this? Did Microsoft consider this, or did they assume everyone has unlimited bandwidth!?

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You can disable Windows updates and enable them back thru administrative tools> Services> scroll down to 'Windows updates' and select 'disable' from the drop down list...

this will stop all updates untill you re-enable it in the same procedure...I use this feature when I don't want any new builds till I know they are good or an ISO is available or when I have no choice.*john

mine...I'm out-of date.

25 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I often connect my laptop to wifi using my phone's wifi hotspot. I have limited data on my cell plan, and don't want updates to download while on this connection. How do I deal with this? Did Microsoft consider this, or did they assume everyone has unlimited bandwidth!?

Does this help?

Mel

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This is how to disable Windows Update in Windows 10:

1. On Start type 'services.msc'

2. Scroll down in services and find the Windows Update service.

3. Right Click then open 'Properties'

4. Set 'Start Up' type to 'disabled'

5. Stop the Service.

DONE! If you try to use windows update it will give you an error.

56 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Does this help?

Mel

I already tried your method and the method mentioned by LabibKhan. These just prevent updates from downloading automatically. 
What I wanted was to download updates manually i.e. only selected updates like the driver updates and ignore those buggy MS's KB updates. Even thought there is an option to select this property in Group Policy Editor, but none of the methods work. If i click on check updates, all of the updates get downloaded but what i want is only to check the list of updates without downloading them just like in previous version of Windows. The only think that allows me to see the list is setting as a metered connection, however I can't download selected updates, if I download, I ve to download all. And all these are with the PRO edition, which were supposed to happen with Home editions. Looks like there is no difference between Home and Pro editions anymore. MS is seriously ruining itself. I think Win10 is going to be even a bigger disaster than Windows 8. The start menu, search bar and all the items shown on taskbar(default icons) are very much unstable, which get corrupted on clean removal of other softwares and their registeries. The most unstable OS(build 10240, supposedly the RTM build), I ve ever seen.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You see...everyone has a different or similar experience with Win 10...I for one had lot's of issues with build 10130 and all others had quirks and problems also...however I am quite surprised how well this 10240 is going and I have it installed on two computers...so no mistake or fluke there...I created an ISO from the ESD file ...first time for me and it worked perfect and upgrade build 10074!...

you might want to do a reinstall or even a clean install if you have such an unstable system.

there is nothing we can do about selective updates...that is a fact.

With everyone here experiencing those different issues is not the way a finished operating system should be...there should be no differences between all computer users...other wise Windows 10 can not be ready for the average consumer that's for sure.*john

mine...I'm out-of date.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Not exactly what you are looking for. 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

We can no longer pick and choose what updates we get.

Please mark my posts as answers or helpful if they are.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You see...everyone has a different or similar experience with Win 10...I for one had lot's of issues with build 10130 and all others had quirks and problems also...however I am quite surprised how well this 10240 is going and I have it installed on two computers...so no mistake or fluke there...I created an ISO from the ESD file ...first time for me and it worked perfect and upgrade build 10074!...

you might want to do a reinstall or even a clean install if you have such an unstable system.

there is nothing we can do about selective updates...that is a fact.

With everyone here experiencing those different issues is not the way a finished operating system should be...there should be no differences between all computer users...other wise Windows 10 can not be ready for the average consumer that's for sure.*john

I am embarrassed almost to say that I have been running W10 since last fall on a HP notebook as a sole O/S and it has never skipped a beat.  Never last an update, an install, it just keep ticking along.  A few little bugs early on but they disappeared and mostly I just did a work around.  I brought a 2nd HP notebook in at 10162 as a sole O/S and it just went to 10240 and activated.  Just no issues on my plate.  Both were at W8.1 Pro.

Be interesting to know how many issues are not really caused by W10 but by the dual boots, VM, etc, or just not paying attention.  The folks with problems are expected to post.  If we have 5,000,000 Insiders do we just have a few with problems.  Would be interesting statistics.  In the past, we just went from 1 O/S to another.  This time around is so much more complicated beyond the basic O/S.

Once again, I just don't have issues with my W10 sole O/S's.

Mel

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated December 24, 2020 Views 10,236 Applies to: