Error while installing 10586.71

Hi,

I'm trying to install the latest preview build (10586.71) on my 950XL and it isn't succeeding.  It downloads completely, gets into "preparing to install," then gives me the "Some update files are missing or have problems.  We'll try to download the update again later. Error code: (0x80073712)"

... I tried a few times yesterday, then again today.  I've done a soft reset, removed the battery for a harder reset, tried under a couple of different Wi-Fi connections. I have plenty of free space for the update.  I suppose Clippy will suggest doing the things I just listed, then a factory reset, but does anyone have any other ideas on how to get around this?  It's not a new error but I haven't found a lot of useful discussion in the forum about what the error actually means and how to resolve it on a phone, though it does appear that on desktop versions of Windows this error can be resolved by using some sort of recovery tool, rather than reformatting one's hard drive.  Here's hoping.

Thanks

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

We regret the inconvenience caused to you. Let me assist you.

I suggest you to go back to previous operating system by using the Windows Recovery tool from the below link and then you can install the Windows 10 build on your phone to check the status of the issue.

Windows Phone Recovery Tool

http://www.microsoft.com/en-in/mobile/support/faq/?action=singleTopic&topic=FA142987

Important! Using the Software Recovery Tool will erase all content stored on your phone, including apps and games (along with app data and game progress), text messages, call history, music, photos and more. If possible, you should back up your phone first (Settings > backup). You will be able to restore a backup once the recovery is complete.

Note: The recovery process may take some time depending on your internet connection speed, and you cannot use your phone during the installation. The latest approved version of the software in your phone and model will be installed.

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

We regret the inconvenience caused to you. Let me assist you.

I suggest you to go back to previous operating system by using the Windows Recovery tool from the below link and then you can install the Windows 10 build on your phone to check the status of the issue.

Windows Phone Recovery Tool

http://www.microsoft.com/en-in/mobile/support/faq/?action=singleTopic&topic=FA142987

Important! Using the Software Recovery Tool will erase all content stored on your phone, including apps and games (along with app data and game progress), text messages, call history, music, photos and more. If possible, you should back up your phone first (Settings > backup). You will be able to restore a backup once the recovery is complete.

Note: The recovery process may take some time depending on your internet connection speed, and you cannot use your phone during the installation. The latest approved version of the software in your phone and model will be installed.

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

You don't answer the question at all !!

Is this answer generated by a robot?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

LOL

Hence my comment about Clippy recommending I do a factory reset. A first year CS student could probably script a more useful response bot than the actual humans presumably behind Microsoft Community responders. I just ignore those replies and hope someone useful will follow up.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Does anyone know of anything that helps here?  There's another new build out today which I can't get because 10586.71 is blocking it.  I'll probably try a factory reset (or the recovery tool) this weekend but I've seen at least a few posts saying that didn't actually help.  Since it's disruptive and time consuming, it would be nice to know

1) What does the error actually mean?

2) What causes it - is it something I did?  Can I prevent it from happening in the future?

3) Is wiping the phone actually going to fix it?

4) Is wiping the phone really the only solution?

Anyone besides Clippy care to respond?

Thanks

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 18, 2018 Views 86 Applies to: