Error 0x80070643 when trying to update Windows 10 Technical Preview

Hello, I am receiving error 0x80070643 when Windows Update tries to install some updates. The system is HP Pavilion g6 1360su with Dual Boot Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 Technical Preview build 9926. I have tried following the steps mentioned HERE and more specifically HERE. I receive an error when trying to reregister mshtml.dll. Please see the screenshots HERE. What should I do, can I correct the error and should I ignore it and proceed with the next steps? 

Question Info

Last updated April 17, 2019 Views 102,999 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Joe,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10 Technical preview.

I can understand how frustrating it can be when things don’t work as expected. I'd be glad to assist you with this issue.

Please provide us certain information to narrow down the issue:

1. What is the make and model of your computer?
  2. Which security program is installed on your computer?
  3. Which updates failed to install? Please provide the KB number of the update.
  • In the search bar type Windows update and enter
  • Go to Advance option and click on view update history to get the KB number.

I would also suggest you to follow the steps from the article below and check if it  helps.

.NET Framework update installation error: "0x80070643" or "0x643"

https://support.microsoft.com/kb/976982

Note: The troubleshooting steps in the above links are meant for windows 8, however, you can use the same for windows 10 tech preview as well.

Please add a screen shot for the error with mshtml.dll as there was some issue viewing the screenshots from your post. This link might help you to add a screen shot in your post.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_other-windows_programs/how-to-include-a-screenshot-in-your-post/2594b08e-32a3-476a-85a6-b021181be7e4

Hope this helps. Post back with result so that we can assist you further.

193 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

1. It's HP Pavilion g6 1360su.
  2. I use Windows Defender for Windows 10 until it goes RTM. For Windows 8.1 I use Bitdefender Internet Security.

I can't give you an answer to the third question probably because:

1. I have run the following commands from this article :
  • net stop bits
  • net stop wuauserv
  • net stop appidsvc
  • net stop cryptsvc

Then I have run the following command:

• Del "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\Microsoft\Network\Downloader\qmgr*.dat"

And after that I have run the following commands from the same article:

• regsvr32.exe atl.dll
  • regsvr32.exe urlmon.dll
  • regsvr32.exe mshtml.dll

The only error that i can see from the Windows Updates history is that "Update for Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 Update 4 Redistributable Package (KB3032622)" failed to install on 15.02.2015. But that's strange because yesterday (21.02.2015) the updates tried to download and install again and I received error 0x80070643.

I have uploaded the screenshots to Imgur because you couldn't see them on OneDrive. This is the link: http://imgur.com/a/6jSGA

UPDATE: As it was late at night here when I aksed the question I have put the PC in hibernation. Today I started it and the updates started to download again, but I don't know how, because I already told you that I have stopped the BITS, WUAUSERV, APPIDSVC and CRYPTSVC services. As far as I know Windows Update shouldn't work when the services are stopped. Does the above services start automatically when I wake my PC from hibernation? Now it asks me to restart the PC. I will restart and let you know what the results are.

5 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

ANOTHER UPDATE: I think that I've found out the problematic update. After the restart I've gone through the list of updates (screenshot attached to the imgur link) and that's the results:

1. The updates which installed successfully are:
  • The Definition Update for Windows Defender
  • A driver for the graphics card( AMD Radeon HD 6380G
  • The cumulative security updates for IE
  • And the 2 updates which should prepare the PC for the latest build coming.

2. The update which didn't installed is "Update for Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 Update 4 Redistributable Package (KB3032622)".

Should I run the  ".NET Framework update installation error: "0x80070643" or "0x643" troubleshooting guide you told me before?

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi, I have run again all steps from HERE and the update installed successfully. Thank you for the help.

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Joe,

Glad to know that the issue is fixed. Thank you for sharing the solution. This will help the users experiencing similar issue. Your efforts to resolve this problem is very much appreciated. Please feel free to reply, in case you face any other issues with Windows in future.

Sorry this didn't help.

I have tried all the steps published above to no avail.

I was running 10 Preview 9926 on my Dell Venue Pro 8 with considerable success until Microsoft sent me an Intel-provided update that fails to install.

The Intel HD driver fails to install with a code 0x80070643. I have tried every available means to clear the error state and force the update, to no avail, even going so far as to clean-install Windows 8 as it came on my Venue Pro 8 and go through more than 24 hours of updates to the current 8.1, then installing Windows 10 Preview again and updating it to the current level again; and once again, when Update offers it, the same Intel HD driver fails to install with the same error.

Unlike with older versions of Windows, Preview doesn't allow me to exclude an update from installing, so no updates after this one are installed.

I have once again reverted to 8.1 so my device is once again usable.

Will I be able to install the Preview version after 9926 once it has been released without being forced to try to install this bad driver? If not, how can I prevent this bad driver from attempting to install itself?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm still struggling with the same issues (0x80070103 and 0x80070643).  Trying to get past the Intel(R) HD driver.  I came up with a work-around for the HD driver.  Load Device Manager and uninstall the driver.  Reboot.  Now I'm only stuck with KB2881553 and KB2267602.  One of those is for Windows Defender virus pack and the other is for some English Keyboard text thing.  Apparently, the English keyboard text thing is not supposed to be installed in W10, but it's not my choice.

If I ever get past the mess, I'll reinstall the Intel HD driver.  They have a utility on their site that does the job for you.

:-Dan

UPDATE:  I found that KB2881553 was a Windows Defender update, so I did an update from there.  That removed KB2881553, leaving only KB2267602 which is still sitting there failing.

However, 10041 did download and install successfully in spite of KB2267602  which seems to be a permanent fixture.

Sorry this didn't help.

I have done everything in the following thread

"https://3c-lxa.mail.com/mail/client/dereferrer?redirectUrl=https%3A%2F%2Fsupport.microsoft.com%2Fen-us%2Fkb%2F971058%2F"

and am testing the update process right now. I will edit this post once it finishes one way or the other.

ThePest

Just an update I did finally get everything to install, I did have a minor hiccup with the realtek HD audio driver update, just had to incress the install wait time using the "gpedit.msi" to 1800 vs the standard 300. other wise so far so goo.

PS I was wondering if there has been any news as to when Spartin would be available?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you for keeping us updated on the status of the issue. Your efforts to resolve this problem is very much appreciated. 

Spartan browser is not available in Windows 10 Tech preview build 10041. Spartan browser would be available after the launch of Windows 10 Retail version.

If there is any official announcement about Spartan it will be posted on Internet Explorer blog.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ie/

Hope this helps.

Sorry this didn't help.

No problems on the updates on getting things running. And thank you for the Spartan update.

Sorry this didn't help.