Cannot install Windows 10 with USB Flash Drive using setup- Error, no flash drives present

I have has Win 10 Pro (WIP) version 1607 on my PC, since its release a year ago. I upgraded from Windows 7 and install went well and updates have been installed without problems until build 14367 was released, 3 days after 14366. 14366 with no problem, but beginning with 14367, I get an error. First it comes up with"Issues found" with a 'Fix Issues' button. when I click the button, it tries to install the latest update, now 14385. I get the same error I got with 367, 372, 379, 383, and now 385. "You cannot install Windows 10 with USB Flash Drive using Setup"

Windows 10 is installed on my root drive c:, and has been from the beginning. I have no USB drives containing Windows 10 (except external hard drives with copies of the original ISO file, which is not a bootable drive) I have gone into BIOS and deleted or disabled, all boot drives except my root drive. I have disconnected ALL USB devices and tried to install, but get same error. I read here to correct this make the Primary Drive active (Root drive already active) this did nothing, still cannot update. As noted, all updates up until and including update 14366 were successful. 3 days later, 14367 was released, Trying to update to 367 is when the error started.

Why does it 'think' there is a USB flash drive with my Windows 10, and why does it 'think' I am using 'Setup' to run it?

I have been posting this on the Insider Hub since June 18 when 14367 was released, I have posted here, and on the MS Windows Answers forum. I have not received a single response. I have looked through all the posts here, but most having this problem are trying to upgrade TO Win 10, I have been running Win 10 Pro Preview as an Insider, for over a year, with no issues (other than beta glitches in the OS itself) until 14367 was released on June 18. Since then I have been unable to update, With "we have found 'issues'" and the 'Fix Issues' button, that obviously does nothing. Surely there is a way to divert these updates to the Operating System being used from my ROOT drive with NO USB drives attached, except backup drives with ISO files and File History files.

PLEASE HELP!!

Question Info

Last updated May 4, 2019 Views 6,258 Applies to:

Have you examined your boot up order listing to see if it has usb as first boot option? 

Might try to change boot to default settings

JMarco - ASUS K55-A laptop i7 3630QM proc, 16gb ram, intel HD 4000 video, 240 gb SSD, a/c 7260 wifi, W10 Home 3rd party sft-Chrome,iTunes, VLC3.0.6, Adobe ReaderDC, Speccy,Kindle,firefoxNitbeta,netfix

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi,

Run Sfc /scannow and upload a copy of the CBS Log to your OneDrive account.  Post a link back in your next reply.  To open CBS Log, right click on Start > Select Command Prompt (Admin)

Type notepad c:\windows\logs\cbs\cbs.log then press enter

Pat
As a responsible member of the community, please mark the reply that has resolved your issue. Thank you.

Sorry this didn't help.

As noted in my post:

"I have gone into BIOS and deleted or disabled, all boot drives except my root drive. "

Bios does not change itself in three days between 14366 and 14367

I see hundreds of posts with this same problem.

But thanks

DN

MS User since DOS 2.0
Netware CNA/CNE
Windows Insider since 2015
#1- Win 10 Pro V.1803, B.1725.10 and STOPPED
#2- Win 10 Pro V.1809, B.18305.1 and GOING!

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Run Sfc /scannow and upload a copy of the CBS Log to your OneDrive account.  Post a link back in your next reply.  To open CBS Log, right click on Start > Select Command Prompt (Admin)

Type notepad c:\windows\logs\cbs\cbs.log then press enter

I ran the scannow during the search for answers, so I will just send that one. 

Not sure why I would go through all that Notepad stuff when I can just upload the log? It is already in ascii text format.

Hmmm... curiouser and curioser.....

Thanks

DN

MS User since DOS 2.0
Netware CNA/CNE

Sorry this didn't help.

Here ya go

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AudFvySKzXZQtQWRrHphwwdFeWRL

MS User since DOS 2.0
Netware CNA/CNE

Sorry this didn't help.

Not sure why I would go through all that Notepad stuff when I can just upload the log? It is already in ascii text format.

Hmmm... curiouser and curioser.....

Thanks

DN

Sometimes when members attempt to access the log they get "access denied".  Using the Notepad command opens the log for them.

Your log looks good. 

1) Try this solution from Wungraileng Vashi, Microsoft Support Engineer

Click here and scroll down and click on "download tool now".

Note: Initiate the upgrade through Windows 10 desktop and not from the boot menu.

Run the setup file and follow the on-screen instructions.

Note: Choose the option to keep all files when prompted. Also, create a backup of your important files before you initiate the upgrade so as to be on the safe side should the upgrade go wrong.

The upgrade will take some time therefore I would suggest you to be patient and wait for it to be completed successfully.

Once the upgrade is completed, type winver in the search bar and open it. If it was installed successfully, it would show the version/build

2)

Go to the Metro screen and type in Control Panel
  • Then clicking System and Maintenance, clicking Administrative Tools, and then double-clicking Computer Management
  • In the Navigation pane, under Storage, click Disk Management.
  • Right-click the primary partition that you want to make active, and then click Mark Partition as Active.

Once you have marked the partition as active please reboot the system and try to update again from Windows Store.

2] The other fix few users reported as being helpful, was to change a registry value. Please be careful while working in the registry. Make sure you create a backup of Registry before you proceed.

• From the Desktop screen press Win + R
    • Type in Regedit
    • Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control
    • Change the value PortableOperatingSystem to “0” from 1.

Once you change the registry value please reboot the system and try to update again from Windows Store.

3] Finally, a very few users reported that if the partition reserved by Windows 8 was too small especially for SSD’s, then you may encounter this problem. The easiest way to fix this will be to use a Partition Manager software and increase the reserved partition to at least 500 MB ( it maybe around 100 or 150 MB). There are lots of free partition manager software out there that help you in increasing the partition size. Please proceed with caution, and it’s best if you can create a backup image of your drives just to be sure.

TheWindowsClub.com

• Pat
    As a responsible member of the community, please mark the reply that has resolved your issue. Thank you.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.