Cannot install any builds AFTER 10130 (110158,10159,10162, and now 10166) same error *0xC1900101 - 0x20017*

I've posted this before, but I need to know if anyone know exactlywhat has changed on builds after 10130, which install and runs completely fine on my AsRock h97m Pro4 board.  The bios settings are the same throughout all previous builds on and before 9978 to 10130.

0xC1900101 - 0x20017
Something MS changed after 10130 that has made it totally impossible for me to do a update install or a iso clean install (restart death loop from hell after a brief showing of the Windows Logo).

Hi Rondo,

Thank you for showing interest on testing Windows 10 Insider Preview.

I understand that you are not able to update Windows 10 insider Preview- Build 10130 to latest builds.

I would suggest you to follow the below methods and check if it helps:

Method 1: Manually reset Windows Update components
I suggest you to try the steps under the section “Manually reset Windows Update components” and check if it helps. Resetting Windows Update Components will fix corrupt Windows Update Components.

To reset Windows Update components?
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/971058/en-us
Update the system requirements and check if it helps:

Method 2:
If the issue persists, I suggest you to set the computer in a clean boot state and check if it helps.
Setting the system in a clean boot state will help to identify if any third party applications or
startup items are causing the issue.

How to perform a clean boot in Windows
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135/en-us

Disclaimer: After clean boot troubleshooting steps, refer to the section "How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot" in the provided link to return your computer to Normal startup mode.

Note: The troubleshooting steps in the above link are meant for windows 8,
however, you can use the same for windows 10 Insider Preview as well.

Reference: I suggest you to refer the below Microsoft help article for more information on Windows 10.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/windows-10-faq

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Reboot your PC and press the key to get to your BIOS.

Check the BIOS for a setting called any of these and set it to ENABLED

"Non-Execute Memory Protection"
"Data Execution Prevention"
"No Execute Memory Protection"
"Execute Disable Function" with a sub-menu of  'No-Execute Page Protection Technology."
or similar wording

It might be call CPU protection - Set it to enabled.

Also go to Control Panel, Programs and features, Turn Windows features on an off. Turn .NET Framework 3.5 off.

-----------
If this answers your question - Then mark it so. Then others may find it.
---------------
Around computers
since 1952
lacrumb

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you Kiran Kishore for reply, I really hope you can help me with this one - and yes Sir, I did, many many times, tried fresh installs of builds downloading the .iso  then using Win7 USB tool to create boot drive(s).

g3258, AsRock h97m Pro4 (latest Bios Ver1.9), 8g ram, Samsung 850, 600OCZ Power supply, everything brand new brought.

Only Build 10130 installs fine. I can install and run 10130 and all the builds before it any kind of way with zero problems.  Something changed starting with me attempting to install 10158, 10159,10162, and 10166

If I try a fresh install of the builds 10158 and beyond, I get the 'death loop' - a brief Windows Logo then instant reboot.  With the builds coming in so fast I had the most experience with 10162., all fresh attempts (see no.3)

10166 did the exact same thing (but attempted from with 10130 via windows update, no .iso yet)

1.  I wiped the SSD removing all partions and everything between each and every install attempt, tested it on another build, installs over 10130 installed fine. 

Still no trusting the SSD, I put in a new standard spin-drive, (in the AsRock h97m Pro4 board) exact same problem - - - its not the hard drive(s)

2. Tried 3 different Usb keys, the installs above 10130 installed fine on other systems, but use the same keys on this AsRock, death loop - - -not the usb key(s)

3.  MOST IMPORTANT - When any attempt at a higher build failed, I reserved 10130 to its own usb drive and right away it ALWAYS WORKED when anything before it failed on whatever condition my system has been set up for.

Yet, on the same USB flash drive that had failed attempt 10162 iso, that drive would install fresh on other builds I have with zero problems, so it cannot be the >>>iso/usb drive(with 10162 on it)<<< either.

I did let 10130 install and update itself, then let it attempt to install via windows update with the recommendations you posted ( all builds from 10158-10166) Once the New Installs restart, it crashes the same way giving me the the error code, then backups to 10130, which continues to work fine (I'm using the system now to type this)

Thanks Lawrence, NO EXECUTE MEMORY PROTECTION has always been enabled in the Bios :)

I have a Toshiba P55W - B5224 that never could, not once even, update ANY builds via Windows Update. It would crash at 27-30% then crash back to the old build. So I always had to do a fresh install from a iso. Today, it suddenly did go from 10162 (fresh install) to 10166 via windows update.  W O W 

I just want to now I'm not crazy (all the way at least)...

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 22, 2018 Views 259 Applies to: