0x80244019 When Updating Defender Definitions

I just spotted this tonight (02/25/2015).  I ran my usual nightly check for updates (Settings > Update & Recovery).  Update gave me an error showing 0x80244019.  I decided to try to manually updated the definitions from within Defender.  The update completed successfully.  Then, I returned to Settings > Update & Recovery, clicked update and everything was up to date.

It started off looking similar to the issues I had on this Community Thread.

Discussion Info

Last updated May 22, 2018 Views 6,884 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I have been having (everyday) updating problems with the Windows (10) Technical Preview - mainly Defender updates - I had a job finding defender itself as those b****rs from Microsoft are determined to do an Apple and hide the pips from "core" users.

However when I did the update from within defender, everything was fine, so looks like the problem lies with Windows 10 updating..

Thanks

Today happened to me for the first time, same WU error code while manual checking for updates.

I have the exact same Errorcode in Windows 10 Update. But also Updating from within Defender is not possible. I get the Message: "Virus and spyware definitions couldn't be updated." (Error code: 0x80244019)

Hopefully Microsoft can fix this.

EDIT: found the Solution. 

I had to uncheck the "Give me updates for other Microsoft products when I update Windows." Option in Advanced Options of Windows Update Settings. Now Windows Update works again.

If i check the Option, Windows Update gives me the Error code again.

I have the exact same issue with Windows 10. Can not update via Windows update nor update within Windows defender. Used the online chat feature with Microsoft technical support with 3 different support technicians and they could not solve the issue. I was eventually told it is a fault with the update itself. I highly doubt that as my other desktop installed the update fine. 

I have the same issue with Windows 10 update giving me error 0x80244019.

I am starting to think it has to do with Windows Defender being turned off on my system because I run Norton Antivirus and Defender won't turn on because you can't have two antivirus's running on your system.

This is very annoying, because I don't think I am getting any other updates either.

If anyone knows how to fix this, that would be great.

This has just worked for me , Had not been able to update since 28th July.

I would suggest you to manually reset the Windows Updates Components, restart the computer and check if that helps.

a) Press Windows Key + X on the keyboard and then select “Command Prompt (Admin)” from the menu.

b) Stop the BITS, Cryptographic, MSI Installer and the Windows Update Services. To do this, type the following commands at a command prompt. Press the “ENTER” key after you type each command.

net stop wuauserv

net stop cryptSvc

net stop bits

net stop msiserver

c) Now rename the SoftwareDistribution and Catroot2 folder. You can do this by typing the following commands in the Command Prompt. Press the “ENTER” key after you type each command.

ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old

ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old

d) Now, let’s restart the BITS, Cryptographic, MSI Installer and the Windows Update Services. Type the following commands in the Command Prompt for this. Press the ENTER key after you type each command.

net start wuauserv

net start cryptSvc

net start bits

net start msiserver

e) Type Exit in the Command Prompt to close it.

same problem .

Try the method I linked. It solved the problem for me.

a) Press Windows Key + X on the keyboard and then select “Command Prompt (Admin)” from the menu.

b) Stop the BITS, Cryptographic, MSI Installer and the Windows Update Services. To do this, type the following commands at a command prompt. Press the “ENTER” key after you type each command.

net stop wuauserv

net stop cryptSvc

net stop bits

net stop msiserver

c) Now rename the SoftwareDistribution and Catroot2 folder. You can do this by typing the following commands in the Command Prompt. Press the “ENTER” key after you type each command.

ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old

ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old

d) Now, let’s restart the BITS, Cryptographic, MSI Installer and the Windows Update Services. Type the following commands in the Command Prompt for this. Press the ENTER key after you type each command.

net start wuauserv

net start cryptSvc

net start bits

net start msiserver

e) Type Exit in the Command Prompt to close it

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Thank you ! this method works :)

p.s. maybe someone knows what can cause these update problems ?