Last 2 insider build problems.

I have been on this insider programme since the day it started and almost every build has installed with little or no problems. That is until build 17040, which would not complete. I tried for the best part of a week, and I did everything known to try and resolve the issue, without success. So I gave up and set the selection to delay for a week. Yesterday the new build 17046 was released and so I went through the exercise of trying to install it. Exactly the same problem as earlier. It goes through phase 1 to 100% in a slightly faster time, it seems to me, and then reboots and does phase 2 to 30% and that takes about 15 seconds, much faster than it used to, then reboots and the next phase is so fast I cannot read what it says. Then it reboots and says it is restoring back to previous operating system. Again I have tried the obvious including using the built in trouble shooter, without success. 

I would be interested to know if anyone else is experiencing the same problem and if they have found a cure.

Thx

KM

Was this discussion helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

i have the same problem, build 17040 and 17046 will not install, i get green screen when the installation get to 100%.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

To help us to help you and to properly get answers to your post you should include some minimum information.

1.  Device type. ie PC, Laptop, Tablet, Surface.

2.  Who made it and model.

3.  OS type, Home, Pro, Enterprise, etc

4.  Current build.  Go Settings, System. About. OS build XXXXXX.XXXX

5.  For Insiders also include the rs4_release or the rs_prerelease.

6.  Where is this happening on the computer,  Boot, Screen, App, etc

7.  What error are you getting if any?
-----------
If this answers your question - Then mark it so. Then others may find it.
---------------
Around computers
since 1952
lacrumb

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

i have the same problem, build 17040 and 17046 will not install, i get green screen when the installation get to 100%.

GSOD with what error message?

Please mark my posts as answers or helpful if they are.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yeah same here, trying to go from 17035 to either of the last 2 builds did result in the same. Installing during OS works fine, reboots and gets to a 25-30%, reboots again and boom, recovery.

I guess they fudged something up big time.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yeah same here, trying to go from 17035 to either of the last 2 builds did result in the same. Installing during OS works fine, reboots and gets to a 25-30%, reboots again and boom, recovery.

More info needed.

Type of device?

Any error message? Check under View

Installed Updates to see the error.

Any 3rd party AV?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

More info needed.

Type of device?

Any error message? Check under View

Installed Updates to see the error.

Any 3rd party AV?

There isn't much more info needed as quite some people are having the same issue and with the data snooping they done on us in the past years running 10, you can presume they got the data that they need.

"Type of device" really? I'm mentioning version numbers that can ONLY apply to the PC version of Win10, so think before you ask.

The error type itself was 0x8024200d but I've found nothing that could help.

And no, no 3rd party AV. 

How about you skip basic questions, most people that are here do have knowledge, no other reason why a "normal" user would run fast lane insider builds and report findings here knowing exactly what version causes the error. #logic

Anyway, I've managed to fix my issue by just forcing the install like 6 times. Deleting the .old via windows cleanup, redownloading the update and installing it. On my 6th try it was a success (unless they've fixed the update in the meanwhile as the error code did show corruption in the downloaded files). 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

There isn't much more info needed as quite some people are having the same issue and with the data snooping they done on us in the past years running 10, you can presume they got the data that they need.

"Type of device" really? I'm mentioning version numbers that can ONLY apply to the PC version of Win10, so think before you ask.

And no, no 3rd party AV. 

How about you skip basic questions, most people that are here do have knowledge, no other reason why a "normal" user would run fast lane insider builds and report findings here knowing exactly what version causes the error. #logic

A simple search would have found you some answers. eg: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/hard-reset-windows-updates/2e26953d-58c4-4704-b627-4a743e87e15c?tm=1447931905306

We ask all this information to understand what you have done, and you would be surprised at the number of people in Insider that have no idea what to do. If we know what type of system, there may be someone else with similar issues that has already resolved the problem.

Please refrain from being so negative as we are all just users like you trying to help others. Thanks.

Johnny

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

And no, no 3rd party AV. 

A simple search would have found you some answers. eg: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/hard-reset-windows-updates/2e26953d-58c4-4704-b627-4a743e87e15c?tm=1447931905306

We ask all this information to understand what you have done, and you would be surprised at the number of people in Insider that have no idea what to do. If we know what type of system, there may be someone else with similar issues that has already resolved the problem.

Please refrain from being so negative as we are all just users like you trying to help others. Thanks.

I've already fixed the problem and told how to, so your "simple search" wouldn't had come up by just googling the error code or anything else in that matter related to that.

I'm not being negative, just pointing out comment "****" that just copy/paste the same comment that is being utter pointless. Might aswell replied "It's working here, so must be your system" as it's the same level of uselessness.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes, I think before I ask! The build # is NOT an indication

of a Desktop or a Laptop. So think before you bash someone for

asking the basic questions we users need to know to help you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes, I think before I ask! The build # is NOT an indication

of a Desktop or a Laptop. So think before you bash someone for

asking the basic questions we users need to know to help you.

Rofl really? Desktop and laptop aren't inherently that different from each other, especially at software level. Certainly not enough to make a difference in troubleshooting Windows update failure.

Edit:

See, user CrazyKats comment "****" by replying to each of my point in a separate reply.

Saying enough about the user.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Discussion Info

Last updated February 2, 2021 Views 356 Applies to: