Installing KB4135051 wipes out all update history in Windows Update

If you go back into Windows Update after installing KB4135051 which brings your build up to 17134.5 and find that update history is empty, please upvote this entry in Feedback Hub.

Discussion Info

Last updated March 11, 2019 Views 2,657 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Did you see the early posting about this update?

Maybe this is the secret " Microsoft today released the first cumulative update for those that are on the Windows 10 April 2018 Update. It's a small update,KB4135051 brings the Windows 10 build number to 17134.5."  

As being an cumulative update it nulls the previous versions of updates as I'm not a computer nerd just using logic.

I'm a unpaid independent Advisor/volunteer
I don't think so, because in the current public release, 16299.XXX (and ones prior), every monthly cumulative update increases the .XXX build number without wiping out the update history accumulated throughout the installed life of 16299.

Did you see the early posting about this update?

Maybe this is the secret " Microsoft today released the first cumulative update for those that are on the Windows 10 April 2018 Update. It's a small update,KB4135051 brings the Windows 10 build number to 17134.5."  

As being an cumulative update it nulls the previous versions of updates as I'm not a computer nerd just using logic.

Joe, that's not exactly what we are talking about.

After I got the latest KB, when I went into Update

History and it showed that KB and the Defender

definition updates.

After going back into Settings, Update History a

2nd time everything is gone.

Not even new definition updates are showing in

Update History and they were prior to the KB.

This is the same thing that happened after the KB

to build 17133.

Some thing in Update History has either changed or

is broken.

Please mark my posts as answers or helpful if they are.

I haven't gotten the update yet.  I think I see it in the UpdateLog but it never starts downloading.

If the histories are being deleted, then I agree that is what the CU for 17133 did.  I wonder if they have already recalled the update or my system is delaying it for some reason.

The other thing that crosses my mind is Microsoft making comments about testing update targeting on systems.  Perhaps it is not designated for my configuration.

This is just another Strange thing  about the way Windows 10 Installs different for every device.

Seems like History is all there for me.

Cal54, a comment left on Feedback Hub says "I installed it on two PCs. It wiped out the Update History on one and not the other.  The only real difference in the Settings on the PCs was that the one with the problem had Windows Defender and the one without a problem had Bitdefender." 

By the looks of your screenshot showing definition updates in your history, you are using Windows Defender with no problem.  Is that right?

By the looks of your screenshot showing definition updates in your history, you are using Windows Defender with no problem.  Is that right?

Correct. I have done restarts and complete shut downs and the only odd thing I have seen is Edge lost most of my Favorites Bar links when I powered on the computer one morning but they came back when I did a restart.

Don't really know why the difference. Many times I have lost Update history on other Builds but not this one.

After installing this update yesterday and after many restarts (no shutdowns, I have fast start disabled), the update history remained.

However, this morning after being shutdown over night, the update history was gone.

Microsoft Community Contributor (MCC) 2011

I just test this Update history thing with my Win 10 Pro build 16299.402

First run:

Update with ISO created from Insider Build with UUPtoISO and it clear update history.

Second run:

Restore original 1709 from disk Image, switch it to get previews and update this way and it update directly to 17134.5 without running separate CU (KB4135051) install as seen on your screen shot.

This mean that normal users who update to 1803 next week will never se KB4135051 they go directly to 17134.5!

So, it seem to me that this cleaning of Update history is not depend about device or OS, it depend on which way it is updated.

Update = Replace old bugs with new ones.

This mean that normal users who update to 1803 next week will never se KB4135051 they go directly to 17134.5!

Thank you for doing all that.  The big question is whether or not the cumulative update(s) for 1803 in May, June, July, etc. will make the update history disappear on public builds.  Only time will tell, I suppose.