Build 18850 - Skip Ahead 20H1 - Unable to Open Any OneDrive Files

Following my update to 18850 yesterday afternoon I initially saw that I "couldn't sign in to OneDrive" however that was erroneous as the problem was actually more widespread, in that even if I went through a browser and signed in to my OneDrive none of the files would open using local programmes. Went through documents, photographs and spreadsheets, all reporting that they couldn't find the file. Essentially my laptop is now not functional. Does anyone know if this is a glitch in 18850? (For reasons I didn't understand it took forever to install, almost eight hours compared to the less than one hour for 18845). 

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Perhaps you should compare notes with user William in this thread, he's having OneDrive issues as well

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Have you considered going back to the previous version of Windows 10?

Other than that have you set up system restore? Or have you any System image back-ups?

Please tell me that this is not your main computer and that you have backups for all your documents?

Apparently I will need min. 16GB RAM for Win 12 perhaps even 32 GB RAM.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks both for the comments .. to allay major fears, this is not my main PC but is important to me and I'm not enthused about immediately junking everything this early. My Insider Desktop running 18351, (19H1), is fine so I know that the OneDrive files are intact and available if I can just get the OS on the Insider Laptop operating.

Ref the suggestion from Davy-Delliot does "Go back to a previous version of Windows 10" simply re-install OS version 18845 without impacting the "structure of the PC"? I don't want to trash everything. (Reason for question is that I have never used this option previously especially not in Skip Ahead versions - been "lucky" up to now)!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi RogerW2,

In this instance the OneDrive folders are not empty, all the files are still intact, (as far as I can tell using my Desktop PC), it's simply that the programmes on the PC, (Office &c), simply cannot read them and see that they are unavailable?

I can't establish whether this is because I am not properly signed into OneDrive or because of some other issue. (The only thing that changed was the OS from 18845 to 18850 so I see that as being the protagonist here).

If I use a browser and sign into OneDrive I can see my "on-line" files and directories and can open them using the on-line readers however of course the formatting is gone. (I use Office 2016 Desktop and not 365 though the same applies to non "Office" programmes like pdf's and JPEG and PNG files). 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Does going back impact the structure, yes and no.

Plus don't worry about losing your skippy status just use the regedit posted in the Forum. Many have used it and got back in successfully.

I had a problem with One Drive a few builds ago. After the build installed I had a coloured mark on the Cloud icon. It transpired that One Drive had lost my MSA and I had to re-authenticate my account. In the end I had to sign in again and I ended up changing my password I believe.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi DD, 

Thanks for the additional detail .. As the OneDrive Files are intact in the Cloud the "data" is not a real concern however, in your experience did the "Step-back" lose any other programmes you had installed such as PhotoShop, Adobe Acrobat, QuickBooks and so on or did they stay as was? 

I wonder whether I might just sit tight and wait for the next "update" to 18852/3/5 whatever comes next!

I am assuming that what has happened here is that the OS installation process itself "glitched" as unusually, the actual post "Download" installation activity stretched to around eight hours when of late, pretty much all install activities have been no more than an hour for both 19H1 and 20H1 builds. 

If my statement above is correct then the next OS Build should solve the problem for me .. ???

I'm not being foolish in my thinking in this am I?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

If I remember correctly the program informs you of the programs it will remove, so if you have the disks or the download links there is no problem. Waiting for the next update is quite reasonable, but as for the next build solving the problem...? How long is a piece of string?

In my limited experience, if your build has a lot of problems and you state that you have not clean installed ever, you could have a lot of embedded faults. But wait it out and see. There is no right or wrong with these Insider builds, just personal preferences.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I also have build 18850.1000 installed and (to this point) have not experienced this.  I will double check this evening when I get home.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have 18850 installed on two desktops and am not having this problem.  I can open Onedrive on both PCs, although neither has files in it because I'd rather use external hard drives and/or flash drives.  I don't put Insider builds on laptops because they use proprietary motherboards, making them seem more susceptible to problems.  I also make full system backups with Macrium Reflect so I can easily recover in under 30 minutes if need be.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I also have build 18850.1000 installed and (to this point) have not experienced this.  I will double check this evening when I get home.

I went through the contents of OneDrive and did not have any problems opening, editing or otherwise manipulating files with build 18850.1000.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 2, 2021 Views 1,331 Applies to: