20H1: Stuck on Builds 18912-18926? Reboot!

Hello Windows Insiders!

As we've been working through feedback and telemetry, we've found a bug that hit a small portion of users.  I'll outline the details below on what the bug is and how to work around it (hint:  reboot!).

Who:  Windows Insiders in the Fast ring on 20H1 builds

What:  A (very) small number of users may find that their device is "stuck" on a build somewhere between 18912 and 18926

Why:  We have identified a bug in a build delivery function that causes the process to hang, causing update scans to not complete successfully.

To resolve:  A device reboot will bypass the issue and allow users to scan for updates.

A fix for this bug is available in builds 18927 and higher, but we'd like to share the word to help folks bypass who may be impacted.

Thank you as always!

- Jason

Discussion Info

Last updated July 24, 2019 Views 755 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Thank you Jason for the information. 
Sumit
Windows Insider MVP 2018-2020 and Volunteer Moderator
Thanks, Jason.

If a reboot does not help:

There are several sites on the net like https://uupdump.ml/ where you are able to download builds. Mount the ISO and install from virtual disk.

I am not sure if I tried a restart when I had this issue on one of my devices so this might not be necessary but it will work anyhow.

Thanks for the info cheers Jason

Hello Windows Insiders!

As we've been working through feedback and telemetry, we've found a bug that hit a small portion of users.  I'll outline the details below on what the bug is and how to work around it (hint:  reboot!).

Who:  Windows Insiders in the Fast ring on 20H1 builds

What:  A (very) small number of users may find that their device is "stuck" on a build somewhere between 18912 and 18926

Why:  We have identified a bug in a build delivery function that causes the process to hang, causing update scans to not complete successfully.

To resolve:  A device reboot will bypass the issue and allow users to scan for updates.

A fix for this bug is available in builds 18927 and higher, but we'd like to share the word to help folks bypass who may be impacted.

Thank you as always!

- Jason

Thanks but TBH something doesn't add up...

First of all, there's no such thing as Build 18926 or 18927, and secondly, don't you think that most users would have rebooted at some point during or after those failed updates?

I know I have countless times but still stuck on 18932. :(

edit: as pointed out later on this thread, the term "there's no such thing" was not correct, instead I should've said 'those builds were not released to us'.

edit2: did you mean to say 18936 & 18937? but even then, 18937 hasn't been released yet...

And what happened to this?

"A limited number of Insiders attempting to install Build 18936 may experience install failures with error code c1900101 due to a compatibility bug with a storage driver on their device. The device will attempt to install, fail, and successfully roll back to the currently installed build on the device. Attempted re-tries to install the build, either manual or automatic, will not bypass this issue. A fix is forthcoming, but there are no known workarounds currently. Note: By default, the update will attempt to install (3) times. Users may pause updates if they experience this issue and want to bypass the re-try attempts."

Roger I have to agree 100% with everything you just said.  What choice does anybody have when you're stuck or crashed?  The intelligent thing would be advice on what to do after you reboot and still have a problem.  I like the suggestion RenegadeOne made about downloading an ISO from UUPdump. 
I tried this. It did not help in my case. I just reset windows and then updated. 

First of all, there's no such thing as Build 18926 or 18927, and secondly, don't you think that most users have rebooted at some point during or after the failed updates? I know I have but still stuck on 18932.

Hello Roger,

Sorry to mention, but no such thing as build 18926 or the fix for 18927 may not have been released to Insiders, does not mean there's no such thing. MS compiles a new build almost daily, then decide which one goes out to us.

So yes, those builds would have existed, may have only been tested internally. We never got to see them.

Johnny

First of all, there's no such thing as Build 18926 or 18927, and secondly, don't you think that most users have rebooted at some point during or after the failed updates? I know I have but still stuck on 18932.

Hello Roger,

Sorry to mention, but no such thing as build 18926 or the fix for 18927 may not have been released to Insiders, does not mean there's no such thing. MS compiles a new build almost daily, then decide which one goes out to us.

So yes, those builds would have existed, may have only been tested internally. We never got to see them.

You're right, perhaps I used the wrong words but in any case, why post a fix or workaround so long after the fact? we already knew that we could update builds after a reboot (Wolfboy's "workaround" = dual download) vs. using the WS disable option (single download), remember?

So this still does not clear up the 18936 issue then. 

They must have found the resolve within their own system, but they are talking builds from over month ago. Round and round we go...lol. Long gone issues...hehe

Johnny