Windwos Defender fails to start - red box

Updated to build 14371 yesterday - no problems.

Booted to Insider Preview today and get error message: Windows Defender PC Status: At risk - Your PC isn't being monitored because the app's service stopped. You should restart it now.  Clicking the big red Start now button - result "The service couldn't be started" Close

Administrative Tools > Services:
Windows Defender Advanced Threat Protection Service is Startup Type = Manual; selecting 'Start the service' resulted in Error 13: The data is invalid - OK
Windows Defender Network Inspection Service is Startup Type = Manual; selecting 'Start the service' resulted in Status = Running
Windows Defender Service is Startup Type = Automatic, Status is blank; selecting 'Start the service' resulted in Error 0x80070005: Access is denied - OK

Now what?

Hi,

To better assist you, do let us know if you made any changes to the system prior to the issue.

As you mentioned that the issue started recently, I suggest you to perform a system restore to restore Windows back to an earlier point in time, called a restore point.

Please refer the link below to restore Windows back to an earlier point in time.

How to Perform System Restore?

Note: When you use System Restore to restore the computer to a previous state, programs and updates that you installed after the restore point has been created will be removed.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Update to 14372 today.
-----------
If this answers your question - Then mark it so. Then others may find it.
---------------
Around computers
since 1952
lacrumb

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I updated to 14372 - problem still exists

Answer to WV -  why system restore? - this is Insider Preview, not a final version - something is wrong, that's why we're testing things - there is a problem that did not exist before - why now?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Sorry for the inconvenience caused.

I suggest you to refer the link on How to: perform a repair upgrade using the Windows 10 ISO file created by Andre Da Costa March 23, 2015

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki/insider_wintp-insider_install/how-to-perform-a-repair-upgrade-using-the-windows/35160fbe-9352-4e70-9887-f40096ec3085

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Have you tried just typing "windows defender" in search? Then do scan.

I found that trying to start Windows Defender from Settings-Update & Security-Windows Defender-Open Windows Defender gave me an error message but I played with Windows Defender settings (Turning it off then on etc) and just typing it in search got a working scan plus working update function.

JMarco - InsiderDev, Intel i7-3630QM, 16gb Ram,ASUS K55-A laptop - Insider Dev Build 20277.1, 240GB SSD

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

There is no downloadable ISO of Insider Preview Build 14372 available, as far as I can determine.

A comparison - two versions of Windows 10 Pro 64bit:

Win10 Pro Build 10586

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run - No listing for Windows Defender
HKLM\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run - No listing for Windows Defender

Settings > Windows Defender: Real-time protection - slider is ON; Cloud-based protection - slider is ON; Automatic sample submission - slider is ON.

Open Windows Defender > PC  Status: Protected; Real-time protection: ON; ...definitions: Up to date.

Windows Defender Network Inspection Service: Status - Running; Startup Type - Manual
Windows Defender Service: Status - Running; Startup Type - Automatic

Win10 Pro Insider Preview Build 14372.rs1

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run - Windows Defender REG_EXPAND_SZ  "D:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCuiL.exe"  (File exists in this location)

HKLM\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run - no listing for Windows Defender

Open Windows Defender > PC  Status: Windows Defender Real-time protection is OFF.
Home: Windows Defender is periodically scanning your PC for threats.
      Windows Defender Real-time protection is off because you are using another AV program. Uninstall your existing AV program to turn on Windows Defender.
Real-time protection: Handled by another AV program
Virus and spyware definitions: Up to date

Turn On button: get message about periodic scanning

The above is what is causing the problem: First, I do not have another AV program installed, I have no idea as to what other AV program is being detected unless, somehow, the other version of Windows Defender (in my multi-boot system) is being detected.

If I check Settings > Update & security > Windows Defender: Limited periodic Scanning - slider is ON; Real-time protection - slider is greyed out - can't be moved; Cloud-based Protection - slider is ON; Automatic sample submission - slider is ON; Enhanced notifications- slider is ON

Windows Defender Advanced Threat Protection Service: Status - blank; Startup Type - Manual
Windows Defender Network Inspection Service: Status - blank; Startup Type - Manual
Windows Defender Service: Status - Running; Startup Type - Automatic

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

14366 was the last one released and is available here
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windowsinsiderpreviewadvanced

You might want to save this address as it seem the place where they release the latest ISO.

-----------
If this answers your question - Then mark it so. Then others may find it.
---------------
Around computers
since 1952
lacrumb

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Presently downloading 14366 ISO - address saved - thanks

According to AIDA64 - thee is NO other AV program installed.

AIDA64 v5.75.3900 > Security:

--------[ AIDA64 Extreme Edition ]--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Version                                           AIDA64 v5.75.3900
    Benchmark Module                                  4.2.685-x64
    Homepage                                          http://www.aida64.com/
    Report Type                                       Report Wizard
    Computer                                          CHIEF01 (Rampage IV Extreme)
    Generator                                         Chief
    Operating System                                  Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 10.0.14372.0 (Win10 RS1 Insider Preview)
    Date                                              2016-06-28
    Time                                              15:46

--------[ Windows Security - CHIEF01 (Rampage IV Extreme) ]-------------------------------------------------------------

Operating System Properties:
      OS Name                                           Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
      OS Service Pack                                   -
      Winlogon Shell                                    explorer.exe
      User Account Control (UAC)                        Enabled
      UAC Remote Restrictions                           Enabled
      System Restore                                    Enabled
      Windows Update Agent                              10.0.14372.0 (rs1_release.160620-2342)

Data Execution Prevention (DEP, NX, EDB):
      Supported by Operating System                     Yes
      Supported by CPU                                  Yes
      Active (To Protect Applications)                  Yes
      Active (To Protect Drivers)                       Yes

--------[ Anti-Virus ]--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Windows Defender                          4.10.14372.0(rs1_release.160620-2342)                                 28-Jun-16         ?

--------[ Firewall ]----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Windows Firewall                                  10.0.14372.0  Enabled

--------[ Anti-Spyware ]------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Microsoft Windows Defender                4.10.14372.0(rs1_release.160620-2342)

29 June 2016

Problem with Windows Defender resolved by updating to Build 14376 - would be nice if someone at Microsoft confirmed issue was actually with the previous versions of Defender.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I had this problem until just now. I have read through a lot of whiteboards and found this.

http://www.tweaking.com/content/page/windows_repair_all_in_one.html

I do not condone advertising, however after using this tool, my Windows Defender is now online and fully functioning. I hope this helps resolve some of the members problems here as I now have full protection and feel a lot better about using my computer on open networks while traveling. If this does help please tell others.

Also if you need to read from where I pulled this information please see this link:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/485823/windows-error-code-80070005/

V/R Brien

up-n-coming programmer

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

As I am presently on Build 14905 this has become a non-issue.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 3, 2019 Views 4,428 Applies to: