Windows 10 insider preview build affecting Norton antivirus performance on the PC.

Original Title: Windows 10 Updates (Insider Preview Build)

Has anyone been running into issues with the Windows 10 Insider Preview Build affecting Norton Antivirus and Microsoft Office 2016 software on their Surface Pro 3 within the last hour or so? Literally, within the last 2 hours, I've been able to open Outlook 2016 and it would connect to Office 365 no problem. Now, I open the program and it simply says "Working Offline". Norton Antivirus is telling me that I need to "Fix Now" with a scan. When I try to run a full system scan, within seconds there is the notorious blue screen indicating an error message and that my tablet will restart after the message is sent to Microsoft. This is very frustrating. (The blue screens, in particular, have been frustrating - as they often happen when the tablet goes into Sleep Mode or if I simply don't do any work on the tablet after a few minutes.)

Hi Jennie,

Thanks for posting on Microsoft Community. We regret the inconvenience caused and will assist you in resolving the issue.

Before assisting further, I would like to ask you a few questions:

1. What is the BSOD error message you are getting?
  2. Did you check if the issue persists on disabling the antivirus security software?

The above issue may be caused due to the antivirus security software installed in your PC. Sometimes the security software installed in the PC will prevent certain actions on the computer.

Windows Defender is an inbuilt antivirus security software which cannot be uninstalled as it is one of the inbuilt features in the Windows OS. Windows defender works just like other anti-viruses that are available in the market.

Method 1: I suggest you to uninstall the antivirus security software installed in the PC and check if similar issue persists.

Disclaimer: Antivirus software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you shouldn't disable your antivirus software. If you have to temporarily disable it to install other software, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you're connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

Method 2: If the issue persists, boot the PC in Safe mode by following steps from the link below and check if similar issue persists.

Safe mode is a diagnostic mode that starts your computer with limited drivers necessary to run Windows. The words Safe Mode appear at the corners of your monitor to identify which Windows mode you are using. Logging into Safe mode will help in diagnosing if the issue is caused due to the corrupted user profile or the services disabled on the PC.

Expand the options to boot into Safe Mode:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/troubleshoot-black-screen-problems

Reboot the PC to exit from Safe mode.

To know more about Safe mode, following is an article on Windows Startup Settings (including safe mode) (Applies to Windows 10 also):

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/windows-startup-settings-safe-mode

Refer to the link below on How to enable and use the built in Windows Defender for Antivirus Protection in Windows 10:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki/insider_wintp-insider_security/how-to-enable-and-use-the-built-in-windows/0682bf04-b8d2-4646-9dfb-e5823a5e2117

Write to us with the answers to the above questions and the status of the issue on the same post for further assistance. Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Has anyone been running into issues with the Windows 10 Insider Preview Build affecting Norton Antivirus and Microsoft Office 2016 software on their Surface Pro 3 within the last hour or so? Literally, within the last 2 hours, I've been able to open Outlook 2016 and it would connect to Office 365 no problem. Now, I open the program and it simply says "Working Offline". Norton Antivirus is telling me that I need to "Fix Now" with a scan. When I try to run a full system scan, within seconds there is the notorious blue screen indicating an error message and that my tablet will restart after the message is sent to Microsoft. This is very frustrating. (The blue screens, in particular, have been frustrating - as they often happen when the tablet goes into Sleep Mode or if I simply don't do any work on the tablet after a few minutes.)

This is a known issue with Norton and 14316.  All things Norton will BSOD.  The problem also come to light after a set time of inactivity when Norton kicks in to do some task and will BSOD.

The best solution is to delete Norton.  I have done this on 1 PC.  On the other PC, I have gone to the Norton Desktop Icon and did a right click on the Icon and selected to turn Silent Mode "ON" and then set Silent Mode to the max of 1 day.  Repeat within 24 hours.

It is a known problem to both MS and Norton and hopefully a fix will come from someone soon.

I have been using Norton most of the morning on this PC and all is good.  I have not done scans since 14316.

Mel

Sorry this didn't help.

This is a known issue that is being address.

Kaspersky AV hit this same issue several builds ago and they're working on their end as well.

The actual fix will need to come from the AV providers as it's not an issue in the OS.

Double-check any online forums or social media channels with Norton or Kaspersky to stay up-to-date on progress they may share.

In the mean time, please do use an alternate AV client to ensure your PC stays secure.  You can use Windows Defender or any other AV of your choice.

Sorry this didn't help.

Actually I think it's the other way around...it's Norton affecting the performance of Windows 10...Norton affected the performance of my systems in the past and have chosen not to use it anymore...and I still see other users crying about their "System is too slow"..oh boo hoo...

*john

mine...I'm out-of date.

Sorry this didn't help.

Your contribution to the development of Windows 10 will be very helpful. That's the very reason that Microsoft set up the preview program ... to help them find all the old software programs that they would need to develop the new Windows to be compatible with.

Keep up the good work!

I hope you can see my feeble attempt to add a little humor here ... but new operating systems are developed first, and then it's up to 3rd party software developers to make their software compatible, if they wish to do so, not the other way around.   

You would be well advised to to obtain the special purpose Norton uninstaller tool from their website, and use it to perform a complete, clean uninstall of their program if you wish to stop the preview build from "affecting" it. Then, if/when Norton assures you that their program has been made fully compatible with Windows 10, install that version of their program, if you wish.

Some convince themselves that a 3rd party security program is compatible with Windows 10 if it doesn't crash it, but there is a lot more to it than that ... without necessarily causing a complete crash, it can cause operational issues that the user mistakenly concludes are faults in the operating system, and incorrectly reports those as Windows faults that need to be fixed. Such incorrect reports may cause unnecessary delay in progress for the program developers.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi All,

Thanks for keeping us updated on the above issue.

We appreciate your contribution in helping other community members resolve issue similar to the above post. Contributing resolution regarding any Windows related issue is always welcome in Microsoft Communities forum.

Thank you.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi...some of this is not necessarily so...as many users are experiencing issues with their Windows 10 Non Insiders versions also...as I had to re-install my brothers system...one reason was due to the Avast Anti Virus gone bad...I'm not saying it was the root of the problem but was a huge involvement towards the end anyways...

It is a well known issue that 3rd party Anti-Virus software is a concern with any Windows 10 system...I suggest using Defender and MalwareBytes-Free {which does not run in the background} been using it for a couple years on many systems.

*john

mine...I'm out-of date.

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes, I urge all who insist on using a 3rd party security program to try it only after having seen that Windows 10 (build) seems to be working well, and to be ready to cleanly uninstall it as their first response to any signs of abnormal Windows behavior.

I haven't yet known of any case of Windows Defender failing to protect a system, but I have known of numerous cases of 3rd party security programs causing trouble with normal operation.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated July 1, 2019 Views 631 Applies to: