Repeated notice: "We need to fix your work or school account before"

Running Win 10 Pro Insider Preview Version 1607 Build 15048.0. This computer is joined to a domain but it's physically at my home and usually not connected via VPN (we don't use DirectAccess). I'm almost always logged on with a local (not domain) account. 

We do use Office 365 and this computer is enrolled as a trusted device. I have a work Office 365 account and do not have a personal Office 365 account.

I've grabbed some screenshots to illustrate. This notice pops up (1) from the System Tray every day or so but I can't respond to it. If I click to respond, the Shared Experiences settings page opens and *something* (2) appears to be trying to launch but never is able to. There's only a window that's white with no text. Sometimes I catch a progress indicator (3).

(3)(2) (1) 

Question Info

Last updated December 13, 2019 Views 10,096 Applies to:
Upgrade to the newest insiders build and see if issue goes away.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello David,

To aid you with your concern, we suggest that you perform a clean boot so that we can start up your laptop using a minimal set of drivers and programs to check if it is the same.. You can refer to this article on how to perform clean boot.

Note: After troubleshooting, refer to this section How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting.

We are looking forward for your response.

Sorry this didn't help.

Under Settings - Accounts do you have any way to verify your account? There is normally a link on a non-work/school account for this that uses 2 part authentication, such as an app on your mobile phone, to verify the account. You may need to connect to your VPN briefly to resolve this.

Also, the advice to upgrade to build 15063 is a good idea. The ISO for it is now available.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windowsinsiderpreviewadvanced

Don

7 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Ah. Thanks Don. Some progress. If I go to Settings -> Accounts it shows my work and personal accounts. If I click Manage there, it launches a web page in my default browser. There's nothing there to confirm or adjust but I assume that's what the Settings are trying to do.

5 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

So then, there is no Verify link showing on your Accounts page in Settings. When I click on Verify after a fresh install of Windows 10, it pushes a request to my mobile phone Microsoft Account App to verify. I get a pop-up in the App on my phone within moments.
Don

Sorry this didn't help.

There is no Verify link. Under Settings -> Accounts -> Email & app accounts my Office 365 and personal accounts are listed.

There's a Manage button under my Office 365 account. We are using two-factor auth for our domain but I don't remember ever having to validate this computer. I have it set to approve through the Microsoft Authenticator app but have only approved apps & web site logons.

There are Manage and Remove buttons under my personal account.

6 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.