How to: Create a Local Account during Out of Box Experience Setup

Technical Level : Basic

Summary

Since the release of Windows 8, Microsoft has embraced the Cloud as a first class citizen in Windows. Making it a primary part of authenticating on Windows using a Microsoft Account. Microsoft Accounts can be either a (Outlook.com, Live.com, Hotmail.com or MSN.com) domain. The benefits of a Microsoft Account are numerous when using modern versions of Windows such as Windows 8, 8.1 and Windows 10. They allow you to sync your personal files to Microsoft's online storage service called OneDrive.

In addition that, a Microsoft Account allows you syncing personalized settings which includes Themes, Internet Explorer Favourites, permits access to the Store so you can download your apps and easily share them with your other Windows PCs running Windows 8.1 or Windows 10. The ultimate benefit being is the ability to easily move between devices. I personally use my Microsoft Account with all my Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 devices. It also provides security benefits too, making it more difficult to tamper with your user account because of technologies like two factor authentication. Regardless of these benefits, persons still prefer to log into Windows the traditional way, just like they have been doing for more than 20 years when Windows NT 3.1 was released. Windows 10 still retains this option and procedure is very easy to setup, the first time you start or install Windows 10 on your PC. In this article, we take a look at doing that.

Details

When you get a new Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 PC or install either version for the first time on your existing computer, you will be greeted by the Windows Out of Box Experience. At this screen, you can choose to configure basic settings such as creating a user account or customize Windows before you start using it. This article shows you how to setup a Local Account which works just like accounts in previous versions of Windows such as Windows 7/Vista or Windows XP. All your files are by default stored on your hard disk.

Click the Use express settings button on the Settings screen.

At the bottom of the screen, click the Create a new account link then click Next

At the bottom of the screen, click Sing in without a Microsoft account then click Next

Enter the appropriate information to create an account, if you don't want to use a password, click Finish.

You have now setup your Local account.

Resources:

How to create a user account in Windows 8 | Teching It Easy

Forum Article Info

Last updated May 19, 2019 Views 10,759 Applies to:

Very nice instructions.

Thank you.

The first two paragraphs informing us why our life will be miserable if we don't allow Microsoft to track everything we do - well they are not needed.
Excellent!
Windows Expert - Consumer

Andre - this is a bit late I know.

What happens and how do you react to the fact that the opening panels do not provide you with any menu pick for "Sign in with a non-Microsoft account"???  Without that your only option is to set up a Microsoft account - the only way to get past that screen.  That menu item is not there on some installs I've done.  Very odd that it's there and not there from one install to another.

H