Critical Error: Start menu and Cortana aren't working...

Upgraded to 10159, upon which I had to log back into my MSA to get developer updates. It prompted me to set up a pin, which I did. Upon restart it will not recognize my pin, but I am able to still log in with my old pass.

Now when I log in, I get a "Critical Error: Start Menu and Cortana aren't working. We we try and fix them when you restart" and it gives me the option to log off.

This is only happening on the account that had me change my MSA info at the upgrade (which was my original admin account), and I am pretty much unable to do anything on the desktop unless I run it through the cmd prompt.

I have since made a separate admin that I can log into fine without the error.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Another possible cause & fix to this issue
For me, the non-responsive start button & Cortana issue was caused by a corrupt log in the "TileDataLayer" database. My Application Event Log had these 3 errors times every time I clicked start:
EventID: 454      Source: ESENT
svchost (3148) TILEREPOSITORYS-1-5-21-1730992688-2170346420-2639683965-1001: Database recovery/restore failed with unexpected error -501.

Event ID: 465          Source: ESENT
svchost (3148) TILEREPOSITORYS-1-5-21-1730992688-2170346420-2639683965-1001: Corruption was detected during soft recovery in logfile C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\TileDataLayer\Database\EDB.log. The failing checksum record is located at position END. Data not matching the log-file fill pattern first appeared in sector 75 (0x0000004B). This logfile has been damaged and is unusable.

Event ID: 477          Source: ESENT
svchost (3148) TILEREPOSITORYS-1-5-21-1730992688-2170346420-2639683965-1001: The log range read from the file "C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\TileDataLayer\Database\EDB.log" at offset 307200 (0x000000000004b000) for 4096 (0x00001000) bytes failed verification due to a range checksum mismatch.  The expected checksum was 4911804130253792991 (0x442a3bd52612e6df) and the actual checksum was 4911804130253792991 (0x442a3bd52612e6df). The read operation will fail with error -501 (0xfffffe0b).  If this condition persists then please restore the logfile from a previous backup.

I was unable to find a way to rebuild or fix this database, if anyone knows a better way please do let me know as I'd like to get back my old configuration. I was however able to create & copy a new database to fix the issue. Instructions below assume that you don't have the technical knowledge or ability to put the drive into a 2nd system and preform the copy that way. They also assume that you are seeing the same problems I was in the Application Event Log. 
  1. Login to your current profile
  2. Press WIN+X, and select "Command Prompt (Admin)"
  3. Enter the following commands, in this order
    1. net user "TempAdmin1" "password1" /add
    2. net user "TempAdmin2" "password2" /add
    3. net localgroup administrators "TempAdmin2" /add
  4. Press CTRL+ALT+DEL, click Sign Out
  5. Login to the "TempAdmin1" account using password "password1"
  6. Logout, and then login to the "TempAdmin2" account, using "password2" (note: you must fully sign out, not just switch users)
  7. Open File Explorer, select View, then check the box marked "Hidden Items"
  8. Navigate to C:\Users\TempAdmin1\Local\TileDataLayer (click "continue" to gain access when prompted)
  9. Right Click the folder "Database" & Copy
  10. Now, navigate to the same folder for your damaged profile (C:\Users\YOUR_USERNAME\Local\TileDataLayer)
  11. Right click "Database", and rename to "Database.BAD"
  12. Right click empty area in the folder, and select Paste
  13. Reboot, then sign back in with your original profile. 
Now, assuming all is well, you want to delete the 2 accounts you created:
  1. Win+X -> Control Panel -> User Accounts -> Manage Another Account
  2. Select Account, then "Delete Account"
Hope that helps someone! 

Edit: After the above steps, start menu will come back but live tiles & some metro apps won't work. You need to run the following command in an elevated power shell (same command as noted in other solutions): Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you all for your help and the insight into resolving this issue. Certainly it was an eye opener and good knowledge to have. Unfortunately, I had to rebuild my machine and have gone back to win 8.1 it is a more stable platform to win10. I will wait possible 6 month and give it a go again to upgrade

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm not able to run the sfc as an admin, even though I am using the only account (which I have setup as an admin account) on my pc. Is there something else I can do?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Ok all, try this:

Unplug yourself from the internet and restart your machine.

When you've restarted, from the search bar, find 'disk cleanup' and run it.

Remove 'windows old'.

Restart your machine.

This has worked both on my computer and my wife's, both os which are running windows 10 upgrade, from a previous windows 7 operating system.

Good luck all.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I followed your idea. At the login screen, while pressing  and holding the Shift key, I clicked on the power button, chose Restart and then Windows started to work on updates and telling me no to turn off the computer. It completed the updates in two phases and then went into the legacy page where there are various choices, among them the Troubleshoot option, but I was curious to know what the updates did, so I chose "Exit and continue to Windows 10."

After a few seconds, the desktop showed up with no "Critical error." The usual icons on the taskbar slowly started to appear.  I let Windows do its thing until the hard drive light went  off.  Windows 10 has been working fine since then. :)

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Difficult to run the system file checker if I can't even click the start menu. How else can I run it without having to use the search function (seeing as that is the critical error)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

if start isn't working how are we supposed to open command prompt?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am not able to run the System File Checker because the start menu does not work!  This is the error that I'm getting "Critical Error  Start menu and Cortana aren't working.  We'll try to fix it the next time you sign in."

I can't figure out how to run as an Administrator to perform the System File Checker.  I tried to run it at the command prompt and I'm getting the "need to run as an administrator" message.

I performed the other error task message at the command prompt and I got this:

Microsoft Windows [version 10.0.10240]
(c) 2015 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

c:\WINDOWS\system32>reg query HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Mircosoft\IdentityStore\Providers\{D7F9888F-E3FC-49b0-9EA6-A85B5F392A4F}

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\IdentityStore\Providers\{D7F9888F-E3FC-49b0-9EA6-A85B5F392A4F}
ApPlugineDLLPath REG_SZ  MicrosoftAccountcloudAP.d11
Connected REG_DWORD  0x1
D11Path   REG_SZ  %SystemRoot%\System32\wlidprov.d11
Name      REG_SZ    MicrosftAccount
SupportedFeatures    REG_DWORD   0x1
TrustedRootContainer   REG_SZ   Windows Live ID Token Issuer

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\IdentyStore\Providers\{D7F9888F-E3FC-49b0-9EA6-A85B5F392A4F}\SettingSync

C:\Windos\system32>

If any of that helps at all.  Please advise how to get my machine back running again...like it used to before installing Windows 10.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

What are you talking about? This is my only account and all I can access is a This PC shortcut. Windows + R doesn't work. How can I search or go to cmd or even find SFC or check version number or whatever!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Press the Windows key (next to alt), and the letter X at the same time. On the menu that opens, click "Command Prompt (Administrator) Will work even with the error message open

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 21, 2021 Views 112,360 Applies to: