Builds 19593 to 20226 User Profile Logon Issue - Workaround Included

If you'd like to share a link to this post, we've created a short URL to assist:  https://aka.ms/20226profile

*Edit*  This scenario could impact users in the Dev Channel (only) on builds 19593 through 20226.  The same workaround applies to any user in this build range in the Dev Channel who experiences this scenario.

Hello Windows Insiders,

After the launch of build 20226 to the Dev channel, a small number of users have reported not being able to log into their user profile(s) as expected.  This post covers this scenario, including a workaround for those affected who see the following message:

Note: this workaround ONLY applies to builds 19593 through 20226 on the Dev channel.  It does not apply to Retail users, or users in the Beta or Release Preview Channels..

Note:  the included steps assume your Windows installation is defaulted to the C: drive.  If you have installed Windows on a different drive letter, please replace c: with the proper drive letter for your installation.

To bypass this issue, please complete the following steps:

If your account is an Administrator account on the affected device:

1. When you see the “We can’t sign into your account” dialogue, click the Close button.
  2. Open an elevated Command Prompt window.
  3. Enter and submit the following commands one line at a time:
    • cd c:\users\%username%
    • takeown /F ntuser.dat*
    • icacls ntuser.dat* /reset
    • icacls ntuser.dat* /setowner "SYSTEM"
  4. Sign out.
  5. You will stop seeing the above dialog on your next sign-in.

If your account is NOT an Administrator account on the affected device:

1. When you see the “We can’t sign into your account” dialogue, click the Close button.
  2. Open a standard Command Prompt window.
  3. Enter the following command:
    • Echo %username%
    • (Make note of the returned username, you will use it in step 6)
  4. Close the standard Command Prompt window.
  5. Open an elevated Command Prompt window.
  6. Enter and submit the following commands one line at a time:
    • cd c:\users\username
    • takeown /F ntuser.dat*
    • icacls ntuser.dat* /reset
    • icacls ntuser.dat* /setowner "SYSTEM"
  7. Sign out
  8. You will stop seeing the above dialog on your next sign-in

If these steps don’t resolve the issue for you on build 20226, you may also complete a rollback to your previous build to bypass.  You may then reinstall build 20226 and you will not encounter the issue a second time.

We’ve identified the cause of the bug and a fix is under development thanks to the swift feedback and insights from the Windows Insider community.

Thank you and keep the feedback coming!
- The Windows Insider Team

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Thanks Jason and I hope you had a good vacation! 
Sumit

Windows Insider MVP 2018-current and Moderator
Dell Inspiron 5590 - i5 10210U/12GB DDR4/ 4GB Nvidia MX230/ 512GB nvme
https://www.yourwindowsguide.com

Hi Sumit, 

Now you need to re-install 20226 and test 😊

Windows 10 Insider Page - https://insider.windows.com/en-us/
Thank you, Jason! I will translate your solution into Chinese and pass it on to the Windows insiders in China as soon as possible. I sincerely wish you success in your work and happy life!
KaiXiu Gao - 专业的 Windows 与 Edge 预览体验成员,也是 Microsoft Learn 学生大使和 Microsoft Community 独立顾问。

我的工作职责:
1. 确保社区长期健康发展。
2. 营造专业、友善与活跃的社区氛围。
3. 协调用户间冲突、处置违规现象。
4. 代替社区用户标记确认有效的解决方案。

微软社区欢迎您!
Haha yes, Bryce. Doing it right now. I don't remember when I had rolled back to the earlier build last time. Says a lot about quality - Dev Builds are very solid lately.
Sumit

Windows Insider MVP 2018-current and Moderator
Dell Inspiron 5590 - i5 10210U/12GB DDR4/ 4GB Nvidia MX230/ 512GB nvme
https://www.yourwindowsguide.com
Fixed! Thanks a lot!

Actually, this issue seems to be associated with the account or the profile that is enrolled in the Insider program. My sister is facing this issue right now. Her PC is running build 20221. For the time being, we decided to transfer the data to another system running a stable May release (build 19041.546). However, after a while, the issue reappeared on this other system as well. Not sure if you have seen this as well. We are still in the process of transferring the data and setting everything up again, so needs some more testing to see what is happening with the profile. I'll try this solution in that system as well.

EDIT: tried this fix on Build 20221 system, it seems to have worked. She is able to log into her profile now. Will keep updating this post if anything else comes up.

This worked. Thanks 👍
With me the problem occurred after about 3 days. An Inplace Upgrade helped me.
Insider

I have been upgrading insider builds for several months up to build 20226. I have not experienced any Sign-in problem with build 20226. Yesterday I clean-installed build 20226 from the iso which I made from the WU files I downloaded when upgrading from build 20221 to 20226. After clean-installing I did not experience any Sign-in issue, either. 

For a long time I have been using Windows Hello PIN. I also set up my clean-install with a Windows Hello PIN when still in installation phase before first sign-in. I wonder if those having sign-in issues are using passwords to sign in instead of Windows Hello PIN or some other methods.   

Hi,

This has fixed my encounter with this situation, however, when in a temporary account I made a new administrator account and then copied the files from the old account across.

When I then restarted it deleted the temporary account with the copied over files and therefore the original administrator and new account have the files missing.

Do you know how I can recover the files?

Many thanks

Oliver

Discussion Info

Last updated October 21, 2020 Views 4,031 Applies to: