Why are there two settings for "Let apps access my name, picture and other account info"?

I just noticed there were two settings for "Let apps access my name, picture and other account info":

1. The first one is located under Privacy-General; I have this one set to off.

2. The second one is located under Privacy-Account info; I have this one set to on.

So what's the difference or is this just a UI mistake?

Hi Argmarovski,

Thank you for posting your question in the Microsoft Community.

Sorry to know that you are facing this issue.

You might be aware that Windows 10 Technical Preview is still in developmental stage, you may expect some compatibility issues as of now and some features or settings might not work as expected.

• Did you notice this setting after installing the latest build update on the computer?

If you have not yet installed the latest build 10074 then I would like to let you know that very recently there is a new build 10074 released. I recommend you to install this latest build through the Windows Updates and restart the computer to check if this helps.

New Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 10074 now available: http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/04/29/new-windows-10-insider-preview-build-10074-now-available/

Keep us informed to help you further.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi,

I have the latest build with all updates installed. I am on the Fast Ring. I am using a preview build of Windows whenever there is one available since Vista Beta program back in 2005-2006, so I am not a newbie.

I just want to point out that there is probably a mistake in the UI, since I cannot figure out why there are two settings for one option.

Have A Nice Day!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Sorry for the delay in replying.

Your efforts to work on this issue is very much appreciated.

As you are facing this issue on the latest build, you may leave your findings, comments and feedback related to this product using the “Feedback app”. Members of the Windows Insider Program can provide feedback about the Tech Preview directly to our engineers by using the Windows Feedback app.

Cheers.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I already reported the issue using the Feedback app (including snapshots), prior to posting here. With my post in this community I am trying to figure out the difference between the two settings. I have two different installations of build 10047 using two different Microsoft accounts and the same interface appears in both of them.

So I never thought this could be an issue only for me, but rather a general one. Most importantly I noticed that the two settings are different as I pointed out in my first post. So, if it was the same setting I would presume that changing it from the one option would change it in the other one too. And this is not the case here.

Are you telling me that this one never occurred in any other PC installation of build 10047?

Have A Nice Day!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

fwiw

10074 here is same as yours.

1st one off... 2nd one on.....   so I turned it off too just now - It had no apps using it.

~
Microsoft Bob came back after a 20 year makeover, and with a new name. Cortana!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I played around and noticed that the feature actually works only under the General settings. The setting under Account info does not change anything, and as you noticed there are no apps using it.

So the question is what does the setting under Account info change after all?

The same goes for build 10122.

Have A Nice Day!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This issue is fixed in build 10130. Now the two settings are different:

1. The one under General is now changed to: Let apps use my advertising ID for experiences across apps (turning this off will reset your ID).

2. The one under Account info is now: Let apps access my name, picture and other account info.

The problem is cleared and resolved so my question can be marked as answered.

Have A Nice Day!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 2, 2021 Views 646 Applies to: