Are Windows Insider Preview builds safe?

I want to know that are Windows Insider Preview builds safe? I am asking it because Windows Insider Preview builds are unstable OSs and unstable OSs contain bugs which can lead to security flaws. 

If you think of viruses or attacks from internet I don't see that previews are more insecure than released versions with Defender (and maybe Malware bytes) when you think where to surf or what links to click.

You should be more worried about using previews on PC which you need your everyday work and contain your valuable data. As you said previews may contain bugs. Those bugs can delete your files or otherwise prevent you to access those files. Remember backup even with released versions!

It's recommend to use previews on separate 'test PC', virtual machines or at least another partition (dual boot) than your main OS. That last option could be risky if some bug prevent PC to boot on any installed OS on that SSD/HDD.

Update = Replace old bugs with new ones.

13 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I want to know that are Windows Insider Preview builds safe? I am asking it because Windows Insider Preview builds are unstable OSs and unstable OSs contain bugs which can lead to security flaws. 

Hello Sidharth,

Would never say there are security flaws to be concerned about. Pauli covered most concerns in his post above.

Highly recommended to not use these builds on a working computer as previously mentioned, the risk of data loss is possible. Not being a fan of dual-booting, spare computers and virtual machines are the safest way to test these builds. Personally, would never test these builds on my every day working system.

Being comfortable doing total clean installs if necessary, and some technical experience is helpful. As we all are volunteers in this forum, Insiders helping Insiders, it is a great way to learn and help others. As mentioned, backups are very important, and always have a means to restore your system, eg. image backups, bootable flash cards for recovery if needed.

Spend some time reading through the threads in this forum, it will give you better insight on what you may come up against. It truly is a learning adventure, enjoy the ride! Welcome and have fun.

Regards,

Johnny

14 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I test it on everyday computers, I back up my files to another partition and I also have a bootable installation media

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 27, 2024 Views 7,075 Applies to: