Question

Q: Lenovo trackpoint scroll not working in metro apps This thread is locked from future replies

Title says all.  Windows 10 build 10074.  The Lenovo Trackpoint driver is loaded and appears as a tab in the Mouse settings in Control Panel (it was automatically installed by Windows update, not by me).  The Trackpoint center button scroll on my Thinkpad X61s works fine in standard desktop programs as well as the control panel.  But while the scroll icon appears when I press the center button and try to scroll, it will not actually scroll metro apps, the start menu or any settings app that was re-written as a metro app. 

I'm on 10074 but it has been like this since the first build.  I keep waiting for them to fix it but I am losing hope.  This is a deal breaker if W10 never gets this fixed. 

Anyone have a workaround? 

Paul

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Not sure about x61, but I'm on T400 here. Managed to get center button scrolling using the latest thinkpad Edge E450 drivers Here. I installed through device manager -> update device driver and pointing it to the extracted files, rebooted and it's done!
This fix worked flawlessly for me.  X220, Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit.

Unfortunately, on my X61s it didn't work.  Windows apparently does not recognize that driver as appropriate for the X61s and keeps telling me that the best driver is already installed.  I even uninstalled and deleted the existing Lenovo driver, told it to update and pointed to the extracted files.  No go.... it said the generic MS driver that it installed after I uninstalled the Lenovo driver was "the best".  

My guess is that MS uses a different mouse protocol in metro apps (why they would do that is unclear) and the Lenovo driver needs to be updated.  Which I suspect will never happen.  So neither will my upgrade to Win10 on my two X61s.  They may be old but they are VERY good laptops with great keyboards and there is no way Win10 is gonna force me to replace them.  

Paul

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Still no solution?

That's too bad.

Sorry this didn't help.

I found the way of installing ultranavi driver to my X61 which doesnt have ultranavi pointing device but only trackpoint.

Now I can use trackpoint scrolling on Windwos10 startmenu and metro apps including Microsoft Edge browser!!

1) install ultranavi driver : http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/ds103517

2) During installation, it is rejected to install driver but it's ok.

3) open device manager, select trackpoint and search new driver. It is important not to search automatically nor via internet but select driver on PC (use disk search option).

4) My windows10 is 64bits so I selected the folder C:\DRIVERS\WIN\UltraNav\WinWDF\x64

5) go installation (select Synaptics Pointing Device!! in may case ThinkPad Pointing Device cases problem of startup process of Windows) and restart pc.

6) Property of mouse now shows UltraNavi tab instead of TrackPoint tab and touchpad is gray out but trackpoint works including chage of setting.

There exists a possibility that only above-mentioned specific driver works but I suppose this way can be applied to some old ThinkPad without pointing device but only trackpoint device.

Sorry this didn't help.

3 people were helped by this reply

I found the way of installing ultranavi driver to my X61 which doesnt have ultranavi pointing device but only trackpoint.

Now I can use trackpoint scrolling on Windwos10 startmenu and metro apps including Microsoft Edge browser!!

Yes yes yes YES YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I confirm that this WORKS on my Thinkpad X61s x64 installation!  Windows warns that the driver may not work but after installing, it indeed DOES work perfectly.... exactly as Hogera describes.  FINALLY we can use the TrackPoint scroll in ALL of Windows 10. 

Thank you!  And Microsoft should think you as well.... the lack of TrackPoint scroll was a major deal breaker for me.  Now there is an upgrade path for my beloved Thinkpads. 

Paul

Sorry this didn't help.

2 people were helped by this reply

Thanks for the fix, i have a t400 did what you mentioned and now i can scroll on modern apps, thanks!!!!

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you guys for all the hints here.

I'm using a 32bit Windows 10 version. This is the reason why I cannot use the suggested driver.

I've searched the lenovo page and found this driver:

http://support.lenovo.com/de/de/downloads/ds103454

This driver supports 32 and 64 bit Windows 10 versions.

Just unpacked and installed the driver on a R61 Thinkpad (7742 NCG).

Now it is possible to scroll also in metro apps :)

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm using a Lenovo desktop, 64-bit processor. Last night I upgraded from Windows 7 (that came with the computer when I bought it five years ago) to Windows 10, version 1511. Everything went well, except it doesn't recognize my IBM TrackPoint/Ultranav keyboard and pointer. I'm a long-time user of the TrackPoint pointer (the little rubber button in the center of the keyboard) and if I can't enable it I will have to go back to Windows 7.

I tried the steps described here. I successfully downloaded the driver and it seemed to install OK. Then I restarted my system. When it came up the TrackPoint didn't work and a check of the device manager seemed to indicate that it wasn't there at all. I'm out of gas.

Can someone give me some advice on how to enable the TrackPoint?

Many thanks.

Sorry this didn't help.

If you go to Devices in Settings, can you access the mouse and pointing devices settings at all?

If you can, then you should normally see two sections, one for the TrackPoint (with the ability to enable it or not), and the other for the Touchpad (ditto).

Not the brightest knife in the chandelier... Not by a long short...

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello. Thanks for your fast reply. When I go to Devices in Settings, I click on Mouse and Touchpad, then Additional Mouse Options. It brings up a screen labeled Mouse Properties. I clicked on hardware and saw entries for three (blind?) mice. Each of the three is labeled, under Name, HD-compliant mouse, even though I only have one mouse on the computer, enabled through a small chip in one of the USB ports on the tower. Under the heading called Type, it says Mice and Other Pointing Devices. When I double-click on each one in turn, the first one tells me the manufacturer is Microsoft, and the Location is On USB Device. The other two tell me the manufacturer is also Microsoft and the Location is On Synaptics Composite Human Interface Device. If I try to update the Device Drivers, for any or all of them, it tells me they are already updated and working OK.

What else should I do?

Sorry this didn't help.

Don't you have an additional tab in Mouse Properties labelled "UltraNav"? If not, it could mean that the Synaptics Pointing Enhance Service isn't loading on startup alongside the driver itself.

In Activity Monitor, do you see the Synaptics line called Synaptics Pointing Enhance Service? If not, you can search it using Cortana's search bar, and set it to load on startup.

It should be located in Programs under Synaptics, then SynTP. It's called SynTPEnhService.exe.

Not the brightest knife in the chandelier... Not by a long short...

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 5,335 Last updated: February 24, 2018 Applies to: