Touch AND Mouse modes - A discussion

While I think a lot of people welcome the Mouse friendly direction of Windows 10, myself included, there are times when the Touch centric UI and full-screen Start Screen and Apps was helpful... such as when kicking back and browsing the web or News app, playing music at a party, doing demo with other people gathered around the computer, etc. I understand that Microsoft is working on "Continuum" mode that achieves this, but I am worried that this will only apply to computers with a detachable keyboard and not Touch computers with fixed keyboards like my Dell M3800/XPS15.

The solution to this whole mess turns out to be rather simple. You know that ubiquitous Keyboard button on the taskbar? Turn it into a toggle (similar to the Touch/Mouse button in Office) that switches between universal Touch and Mouse modes that ALL apps can respond to rather than leave it up to each individual app or bury the Start Menu / Start Screen toggle deep in a Properties tab somewhere. I did a little write up with pictures that I think explains it well.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=7867BE9519C12ED5!6639&authkey=!ACk4VJUDzVHZRbo&ithint=file%2cdocx

I doubt Microsoft will pay attention, but I'd like to hear other people's thoughts on this. I'm pretty much on my last leg with Microsoft- very disappointed- and am on the verge of giving up and getting a MacBook + iPad as my primary devices. The synchronization between the two devices (iMessages, etc) really lowers the barrier of having 2 devices. But I'm really hoping MS gets the Windows dual-use thing right. So far, they haven't.

[edit] Adding screen shot

* Universal Touch / Mouse Mode *

Was this discussion helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I think the start screen is great now, however it is nice to have the option to automatically switch to the metro start screen, without to go through settings and logout log in steps. An icon that we can press in addition to a key combination to switch between metro and desktop mode without using the start screen would be a very nice addition. sometimes I like to put metro start screen in the background using my desktop pc.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Congrats - Well written discussion you appear to have it in a nutshell and covered the subject well, I really have nothing more to add, other than, I agree with what you have written & explanation on OneDrive, better integration is required.

On thing I am  interested in is the switching between Start Menu & Start Screen as mentioned by (Dr Sam), that has to be made simpler.

They (MS) have the next 6 mths. to fix it, hopefully for the better.

Your not serious about Apple, are you!!!!!!!!

A computer is a device, that requires human input to operate efficiently.
Alas we humans do fail!!!!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This is something I really want to know more about

Like you I have a touch computer with a fixed keyboard

For me, if you are using a touch device, then it needs an option to operate similar to windows 8, it is early days yet with 10 and the preview is really just to show off the desktop side, touch is coming later

From what I have seen though, its just reversed the roles

8 was good for touch users

many thought 8 was poor for desktop users

10 so far is good for desktop users and poor for touch users

interested in seeing the direction they go with this

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I also started a discussion on this, but more for a multi display setup:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_tp-tms/interchangeably-use-the-start-menu-and-start/53ff3a08-64eb-45a1-a3d0-2ab94a11ecf9

But my proposal could also be usefull with just one display.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have an HP 11T X360 which goes into tablet mode when you fold the keyboard behind the monitor. Actually deactivates the keyboard and mouse. Do not think this is a feature of W 8.1 but something HP built into the firmware. Still, it is a wonderful feature! Looking forward to getting W 10 on this laptop.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I think this is a bit of a hot topic with may threads on the subject. Hopefully MS will take heed and do something. If not I am sure Apple are trolling these forums and will take heed when they launch the Mac Pro.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I think with hybrid devices they need to have it automatically between start screen and start menu when switch your device like folding the keyboard back. then keep it in start menu for non touch and start screen for touch. They should also have an icon to switch quickly between the two no matter what you use.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I just had to phone this in! I installed the W 10 TP on the aforementioned HP 11T x360. Did the install on Virtualbox. Had to create a custom resolution in VB to allow a full "full screen" which worked out well! Using half of my RAM and only 2 of the Pentium cores but it works pretty good on this lower end Win 8.1 laptop.

The impressive part is how it works when I fold the keyboard under the screen... works just like a tablet should (keyboard disabled)... swipe in from the right and get the charm bar to get to the start screen or press the "Window" button to get the start screen, or press the start icon to get the start menu. I did have to enable the touch keyboard toolbar option but it works, too!

Will be hard to wait a year for the RTM for W 10. So far I've had only one old program that will not work: OpenVPN. But as this is to "play" with I'll keep trying!!!

Thanks MS!!!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I doubt Microsoft will pay attention, but I'd like to hear other people's thoughts on this.

I remember a few years ago a company called and wanted me to buy an ad in their yellow pages.  I just laughed at them, because if a customer couldn't find me in their yellow pages, they'd blame the yellow page publisher, not me.

In Metro, every app was supposed to enable sharing and set up how it wanted to share and could share, etc.  When not every app publisher did this, people blamed Microsoft because apparently copy/paste didn't work like it was supposed to.

This is why Microsoft should absolutely do this -- setting one quick and easy "touch or mouse mode" button should switch every app's default state back and forth, touch/mouse.  Because if an app programmer doesn't set an alternate mouse mode, or an alternate touch mode, or if people have to keep switching it back for every app, then people aren't going to blame the app programmer, they're going to blame Microsoft.

You hear this, Microsoft?  Save yourself a world of blame for other people not doing what you'd like and just implement a global option.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am using W10TP on an Asus ET2410 All In One desktop without a keyboard and I can only to get it to work like there is a mouse and a keyboard connected. (It is identical to the UI I have on the Hyper-V machine I am running on another one of my non-touch laptops) is there a setting that you need to turn on to use the start screen I only have access to the start menu.
Derek Smith

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Discussion Info

Last updated May 7, 2021 Views 6,032 Applies to: