Windows 10 Insider Preview 14316 - Automatic Reboot loop

Hello, I installed Windows 10 Insider Preview 14316 and got caught in a continuous reboot loop. All the applications I've tried work fine but the system reboots after 10- 20 minutes from booting up. In fact, I just noticed that the system reboots even when I'm not logged in. Is this common with this build? What should I do from here?

Question Info

Last updated November 16, 2018 Views 1,227 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

We regret the inconvenience caused to you. Let me assist you.

I understand the computer goes on an automatic boot loop while you are not logged in. This issue might have been caused due to corrupted drivers or startup settings. I suggest you to boot the system in Safe Mode and check if the issue persists.

Method 1: Try booting the system in Safe Mode and check the status of the issue.

Safe mode starts Windows with a minimal set of drivers and services. If a problem doesn't reappear when you start your PC in safe mode, you can eliminate the default settings and basic device drivers and services as possible causes. Refer the link below for steps to boot in Safe Mode.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/get-to-safe-mode-and-other-startup-settings-in-windows-10#v1h=tab01

If you are not able to boot to the desktop or the issue persists in Safe Mode, try performing a Startup repair to check if it helps.

Method 2: Perform a Startup Repair on the system

Create a Windows 10 installation media and perform a Startup Repair on the device and check if it helps to resolve the issue. This is an alternate way to boot the device and run recovery tools when something goes wrong with the Operating system.

Please follow the steps below to do Startup repair:

1. Insert the installation USB drive and boot Windows 10 from it.
    If you don't have one, you can 
Create an installation Media.

2. In the ‘Windows setup’ page select the ‘language to install’, ‘Time and currency format’ and the ‘keyboard or input method’ and click on ‘next’.

3. Click on ‘Repair your computer’ and select ‘Troubleshoot’.

4. Click on ‘Advanced options’ and select ‘Startup Repair’ and select the operating system.

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Thanks & Regards,
Pawan Dhondiyal
Microsoft Community

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello Pawan,

Now that you mention it, I do recall seeing a messgage saying a driver or component hadn’t loaded after the installation reboot. But when I checked the device manager I didn’t see any exclamation marks and my devices appeared to be working fine.  That was last night. This morning the computer rebooted a couple of times before I contacted the community. So far, today, after those reboots, I’ve been working on my computer for about an hour without a problem. Should I just run the repair you suggested or is there something else I should try first.

J

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

This is a follow up on my problem. Outlook started locking up on me then the entire system locked. I went into safe mode and my display just flickered on and off.

As you suggested, I created an installation media on my USB drive. Unfortunately, when I boot up, I see the thumb drive light up but my computer boots into Windows but not from the USB device. From this same computer I am able to see the files installed on the stick and the boot folder and files seem to be there. I'm not sure what steps I should take from here.

I still need help with my Windows 10 Insider Preview 14316 - Automatic Reboot issue.

J

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

This is a follow up on my problem. Outlook started locking up on me then the entire system locked. I went into safe mode and my display just flickered on and off.

As you suggested, I created an installation media on my USB drive. Unfortunately, when I boot up, I see the thumb drive light up but my computer boots into Windows but not from the USB device. From this same computer I am able to see the files installed on the stick and the boot folder and files seem to be there. I'm not sure what steps I should take from here.

I still need help with my Windows 10 Insider Preview 14316 - Automatic Reboot issue.

J

I just finished testing a bootable USB for a fellow Insider who has a looping and useless 14295.  I wanted to test on my HP notebook before shipping a USB across the country for a Dell.

I used the Media Creation Tool to create a bootable USB but the HP did not see the USB even though I had changed the order of BIOS load.  The HP BIOS entry is ESC key.  In playing

around I found out that F12 key which is an unpublished HP key will kick a new start right to the USB regardless of BIOS setting.  Also, the USB stick must be in place or the start will just default to the hard drive.

After playing around for a while I was also able to get the HP  BIOS to kick in using the published ESC key.

Hope this helps.  Been there, done that.

Mel

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Mel,

Your suggestion worked like a charm. I'm making some progress. Unfortunately it didn't show the options Pawan provided until I by passed a Windows Setup dialog box. The box says,

"It looks like you started an upgrade and booted from installation media. if you want to contiue with the upgrade, remove the media from your PC and click YES. If you want to perform a clean installation instead, click NO."

Clicking no brought me to the section described by Pawan. So, after running Startup Repair I got a message saying Startup Repair couldn't repair your PC. It looks like I need to look at the next option.

I look forward to any help.

Again, thanks for moving me this far.

J

Sorry this didn't help.

Pawan,

I just want to make sure this is still listed as an open problem. I was able to get through all the steps but Startup Repair says it couldn't repair my computer. I noticed it lists a log file. Is that helpful in any way?

J

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Asad,

Thanks you for posting your reply and update.

As the Startup repair failed, I suggest you to try performing a System Restore using the same steps as Startup repair and select System Restore under Advanced Options. System Restore is a feature that allows users to restore their system to a previous state. It offers a way to undo all the changes in the system files, registry keys, installed programs, etc., to a previous state, without affecting personal files such as documents, photos or e-mails. 

http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

System Restore Disclaimer: When you use System Restore to restore the computer to a previous state, programs and updates that you installed are removed.

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Thanks & Regards,
Pawan Dhondiyal
Microsoft Community

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same issue, restarts to the log in screen on build 14316,

Is it possible to take the .iso and install over the top of the existing version?  I do not want to  format and lose the current installed programs.

DAVE

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Dave,

Try the repair startup a few times. You might have better luck. If that doesn't work I'm fairly sure that's not the right route, yet. I'm backing up files and old setup programs now. Although, I already backed up to another hardrive I'll have redundancy. I'll cross my finger and perform the system restore later. If that doesn't work I'm mentally preparded to start over.

Feel free to wait and get some other counsel.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Well it looks like I’m moving to the next option. I only had one restore point and it failed to make any changes. I booted from a USB drive and made sure my virus software was disabled. Again, no luck.

Initially, I upgraded to Windows 10 from 8.1. Fortunately, I updated my Dell backup recovery discs last month. I’m not sure if using them is a good solution or if there is a better option to try. Obviously, if there is a way to save my programs and save time, I’d like to use that process. Either way, my data is backedup. What's the best solution?

I look forward to your response.

J

Sorry this didn't help.