People Bar (Windows My People) causing an even bigger headache for me in Build 16193

I have already written in great length about how strangely the People Bar has been behaving on my PC for the last two builds, but with Build 16193 it got worse.

The new build was successfully installed.  After the "Let's start" message, everything seemed normal.  Before trying anything out in great length, I always like to perform a Restart when the new installation has settled down, after about 15 minutes.  That's when the problems began.  The system rebooted, I got past the login screen, but within 30 seconds after the desktop appearing, the system became totally unresponsive and required a hard shutdown.  Twice. 

Never having done it before, I was able to find how to start Windows 10 in Safe Mode with networking.  After getting past the login screen, the Taskbar would flash and reset every 15 seconds or so.  I found that clicking the My People icon caused the Taskbar to flash and reset immediately.  Aha!  That must be the culprit!  I was able to get into Taskbar settings and turn My People off.  Then things started to calm down.  Windows seemed to function properly on the limited Safe Mode basis.  I was able to use File Explorer ok, and access the Web using Internet Explorer.  Leaving the My People Taskbar setting to Off, I restarted.

Finally Windows booted normally without crashing.  I just updated the Store apps successfully.  The only issue is that my tile setup in the Start Menu was wiped out, but recreating that is simpler than rolling back or wiping everything out and starting all over again, which I was afraid I might have to do.  And for the time being, at least, People will remain OFF! 

Has anyone tried restarting their systems after installing 16193?  If so, have you had any problems?

Nothing like you mentioned, but then I always turn People on the taskbar off.  Everything else in 16193 seems to work except file & folder sharing.  My non-insider Windows 10 system can see the insider build's shared folders, but the insider builds can't see the other shared stuff on the network.  This is not using Homegroup, just shared folders on 4 PCs on my local network.  I gave up on Homegroup long ago because every update seems to destroy any Homegroup I'd set up.

Everything else in 16193 seems to work except file & folder sharing.  My non-insider Windows 10 system can see the insider build's shared folders, but the insider builds can't see the other shared stuff on the network.         

After reading what you wrote, I gave it a try.  This Insider PC is having no problem seeing the shared folders in my non-Insider machines.  I'm sorry I have nothing to offer to help you with your issue.  Hopefully others may have some ideas.

Discussion Info

Last updated May 18, 2018 Views 132 Applies to: