Lumia 520 Bricked After Trying to Upgrade to Windows 10

I tried to install Windows 10 Tech Preview Build 10051 on my Lumia 520. It worked, but my phone would not recognize my SIM and the settings app was missing. I tried the Windows Phone Recovery Tool, but that didn't work, saying about halfway through installation it had lost connection with the phone, even though I had not done anything. I then erased and reset my phone through windowsphone.com, but that just set up Windows 10 for Phones again with a more features missing than before. There was no touch screen, just an all apps view, and many apps were missing. I tried the Windows Phone Recovery Tool multiple times after that, all with the same problem as before. My phone now only shows a red screen with the Nokia logo on it and is not recognized by my PC.

Question Info

Last updated May 22, 2018 Views 385 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

I tried to install Windows 10 Tech Preview Build 10051 on my Lumia 520. It worked, but my phone would not recognize my SIM and the settings app was missing. I tried the Windows Phone Recovery Tool, but that didn't work, saying about halfway through installation it had lost connection with the phone, even though I had not done anything. I then erased and reset my phone through windowsphone.com, but that just set up Windows 10 for Phones again with a more features missing than before. There was no touch screen, just an all apps view, and many apps were missing. I tried the Windows Phone Recovery Tool multiple times after that, all with the same problem as before. My phone now only shows a red screen with the Nokia logo on it and is not recognized by my PC.

Your phone is still in a recoverable state.  Please reconnect it to the WPRT and try the recovery process again.  If your device model doesn't show in the tool, please click the appropriate "not recognized" button and then proceed.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.