How to disable Cortana on the Windows 10 Taskbar

Technical Level : Basic

Summary

Windows 10 comes built in with a digital assistant called Cortana which you can use to ask questions and search for information and files on the web or your computer. If you wish to not have Cortana so readily visible on the Taskbar, you can easily customize its presence. This wiki article shows you how.

Details

Cortana digital assistant on the Windows 10 Taskbar.

Disable it

Right click the Taskbar > select Search > click Disabled

Forum Article Info

Last updated November 13, 2019 Views 16,617 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I don't have the Disable option when I right click in the search box, only Hidden, Show search icon & Show search box.  Windows 10 installed JUL 29th, so maybe this option has been removed.  I clicked in the search box and selected "no thanks" or something instead of Next.  Did this disable Cortana, or is the program still saving my searches, etc?
This is not helpful at all because when I try to follow the instructions here and click on SEARCH those options do not come up.  The first option I see is HIDDEN.  The 2nd option is SHOW SEARCH ICON and the 3rd option shown is SHOW SEARCH BOX.................. So is HIDDEN the same as DISABLED?  I doubt that is because those two words have very different meanings. 

Followed the link on the right side of screen “Disabling Search on Taskbar on build 10162”, post says Disable option has been replaced by Hidden.  So I did that and the Search area was indeed removed.  Not sure how I'd get it back if I wanted to.  Then I read another link on this page “How do we change Cortana’s settings, stop using Bing, stop searching…”  I used the Windows button and selected the Settings option in the lower left of this screen.  I typed Cortana in the search box and “Cortana & Search Settings” was at the top of the list of subjects.  I selected this subject.  I turned OFF the two items in this screen: Cortana can give you suggestions, ideas… and Search online and include search results.  Since this post is dated July 27, 2015 I’m hoping it is correct.  Hope this helps.

This does not actually disable Cortana, after doing this, you can right click on your start button, hit task manager, go to processes tab and see that Cortana is still actively consuming your resources. 
I came here looking for a solution, this isnt a solution to stop it hogging you RAM, its already disabled but takes up 2nd biggest Memory Usage on Task Manager list.

Hey All: I found a method that worked for me. See link below.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-win_cortana/how-to-disable-cortana-from-task-manager/6b8d1899-776e-42d3-ad96-a61fdb04adff?page=2

If you want to disable the Cortana search pane in Windows 10. Go to the Cortana live tile and unpin it from start.
This does not actually disable it.  This only hides it.  A simple way to check on this is once you have done this, right click on your little windows icon, click on task manager, the processes tab should default up, if not click on it, look under background processes and you can see that cortana is still running and using about 28.8mbs of your active ram.

Well! Using 45.1mbs memory distracts prudence in windows 10 operation. Lots of memory available just do not use it up. All cortana options disabled during and after Windows 10 upgrade left something unwanted in there. 

If I had an assistant no 'computer needed.' Get off my back, no tweet for you all. No social la de da. 

Scott G Campbell, Sr, PMP, MBA, PE ret.
No, this is not helpful! Now I have pop-up ads every minute or so. I really tried to totally get onboard with this but my immediate goal is to disable everything I can so I can work without all the interruptions and slower processing.