Does Edge use Internet Options?

Hi All,

I removed access to Internet Explorer in Windows 10 Technical Preview 64-Bit Build 10130.

The only thing still accessible is Internet Options within the Control Panel. Does Edge use Internet Options?

***Post moved by Forum Moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Reply In reply to deleted message

I am not sure why you uninstalled Internet explorer 11.

Just leave it on your system to use in case you have errors using the new Edge browser.

Edge has its own settings located in its toolbar (three dots ... more action) click ... then settings.

Thanks Max, but that doesn't answer the question.

In my observation so far, Microsoft Edge "Settings" screen appears to be woefully inadequate.  Moreover, the Internet Options screen in the Control Panel appears that it remains linked to the function of Internet Explorer.  I observed this when I was working with a CMS that makes use of pop-up style windows for editing some of the content.  Ordinarily I would add a site to "Trusted Sites" to address this, rather than turning off the pop-up blocker.  In Microsoft Edge it appears that ones only recourse is to turn off the pop-up blocker for all sites.  

So the question remains.  Is there an fully functional internet options screen that addresses settings in a more robust way than what Microsoft has provided from within the Edge browser?

Thanks,
Eli

http://www.eliirvin.com

8 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

You cannot actually remove or uninstall IE, only disable access to it. It is necessary for some functions of windows maybe at least until Edge is complete in the final. Go back to Windows Features and enable access again. You can install any browser you want--chrome, firefox, etc and make any browser the default. Spartan/Edge is the automatic default in build 10130.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Again...  Not the answer to the question.  

Does Edge use Internet Options?

My observation is no, Edge does not utilize Internet Options.  If this is the case, it makes Edge WOEFULLY inadequate in that it grants no specific controls to the end user.
Thanks,
Eli

http://www.eliirvin.com

22 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi All,

Microsoft was taken to task by the European Union because it did not allow Users to remove Internet Explorer in the past.

With Edge taking the place of Internet Explorer and Internet Explorer not being a true 64-Bit Browser, I wanted to remove Internet Explorer as I use Waterfox, which is a 64-Bit Browser.

In Windows 7 Versions, 64-Bit, the fastest browser that Microsoft put out was Internet Explorer 9.0 64-Bit. With Internet Explorer 11.0 in Windows 7 64-Bit, I see Not Responding messages all the time and on MSN.com a lot of Certificate Errors, being expired.

In Windows 10 Technical Preview 64-Bit version, I have seen the same time, involving Internet Explorer.

Question: If Edge, doesn't use Internet Options, why is it left in the Control Panel and operating system, if Internet Explorer is removed?

Microsoft is releasing a new operating system in Windows 10, yet, it is making allowances to Enterprise Users, by keeping Internet Explorer. Why not simply remove Internet Explorer from all versions of Windows 10, including the Enterprise version and have Internet Explorer become a Free App for Users that want Internet Explorer. And allow Users to block the installation of Internet Explorer from programs that attempt to install it.

Morton Lee Cohen

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

"Edge has its own settings located in its toolbar (three dots ... more action) click ... then settings."

Means it does NOT use Internet explorer settings it has it's own settings.

If you do not like this then raise a feedback to add more settings to Edge.

After reading IrvinWithAnEye's post about pop-up blocker and recording my own observations, I believe Edge does leverage some Internet Options--but not all.

I don't know about the technology, but I can tell you:

1. I visit a website and receive [only secure content is displayed.] Show All Content prompt.
  2. I then go into IE's Internet Options, Security Tab (Internet zone), Custom Level and enable Display Mixed Content.
  3. I navigate back to the same page in Edge in a new browser window, and no longer receive the same prompt. (It's an HTTP page that loads HTTPS content in the "comments" section)

This leads me to believe that Edge does inherit some Internet Options, but I echo that I don't know how the technology actually works (just recording observations)

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I still get "Display only secure content" popups with Edge it's driving me nuts, enabled in IE, but doesn't do anything in Edge. No settings available to change under Edge settings

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

My issue with this is our teammates use SharePoint on a regular basis so we use the custom security level to use current  username and password to access resources instead of inputting their password every time they launch IE. These are things critical to companies even considering using edge for corporate applications. If this is not possible at least put these options in the "settings" part of Edge to set by itself.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I looked through the triple dot deal and I concur that it is inadequate. I don't like the idea of having to go back to IE to get to settings that should have been built into Microsoft edge in the first place. I also find it annoying that you are pretty much have been strong armed into their home page. Maybe I'm missing something' I'm having difficulty believing Microsoft did not anticipate people just don't need some of these settings.

I've read Microsoft spent quite a bit of resources to improve on with the edge, but it's not quite ready yet. Other than that the windows 10 OS is a vast  improvement over the disappointment from windows 8.

Mack

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Windows 10 and Microsoft Edg

re: three dots ... more action

No, its not there.  I would take a snapshot of it but that won't come up anymore.

~jag77

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I looked through the triple dot deal and I concur that it is inadequate. I don't like the idea of having to go back to IE to get to settings that should have been built into Microsoft edge in the first place. I also find it annoying that you are pretty much have been strong armed into their home page...

Does Run (Win+R) > inetcpl.cpl still work? It's not like you actually need to start IE11 to change its settings... I upgraded to Windows 10 over Christmas break, and I'm just finding all the same issues. For instance, you can turn on the "Home Page" button in Edge's advanced settings, but it the IE11 settings don't affect Edge, I don't know how to change the home page! Fun for the holidays...

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 1, 2024 Views 47,663 Applies to: