Windows 10 build 10041-10049 speed & installation

FYI Current test system: older 3.6GHz single core. 2GB RAM. 180GB SATA. Graphics Intel 82015.

Today, this Win10 test system (build 10041 fresh installation) made the screen go black about a minute after completing the manual download of build 10049. No warning. As I'm (slowly) getting used to watching blank blue or black screens for a while within the win10 test, I waited for about an hour. Then I restarted the system, first by entering hibernate via power button and switching on again. Result: blue screen - black screen. Much activity on the disk for an hour. Second hibernate - power on: black screen. Nothing. Then I switched power off and on again to make the OS boot without hiberfil. That apparently started the 10049 update.

Now I have a slow Win10 with spartan. Very slow. About the speed you have with a 10-years-running XP that nobody ever cleaned up.

Thought about downloading build 10049 (german) to usb and do a fresh install. But where do I get the download..?? Some kind of USB / ISO updaterX86 mini app would be really cool. Look the way Kaspersky update their rescue boot sticks and merge that with the WSUSoffline tool's functionality. -- Bandwidth is limited here and every byte is worth a penny ;) Though web access is faster than last year, a 2GB DVD download takes about 4 hours and costs about $4 when I use the USB internet stick. Just can't walk down the road to my neighbour with the faster inet access everyday..

Other stuff.

(+) boot / hibernate is faster now in 10049.

(?) activating hibernation mode apparently requires registry tweaking.

(-) Support for graphics is VERY basic. Trying to manually find a working graphics driver is a nuisance. sysdm only shows the microsoft basic adapter (software) and doesn't report the graphics hardware nor look for a proper driver. Tested on 4 different systems. At least intel (ich6 & newer), AMD-APU, and nvidia chipset (x800 & newer) working generic drivers should come with the installation, they are the most common I think ( - at least here in austria).

(?) On some systems, the same audio drivers are reinstalled on every wakeup and every boot. Should be improved.

(bug) In build 10041, resizing video playback works sometimes. Sometimes not. Inconsistent audio. Cannot test in 10049, because this build is too slow.

(?) When I push the power button and the screen is black, I assumed it's OK to power off the workshop. A simple "shutting down.." message probably had saved one of my hd's, now there are unreadable tracks -> trash bin.

(?) The ONLY way to build a bootable WIN10 USB installer on XP (or, apparently, on win7-X86) computers is by using rufus. There should be a microsoft tool that runs on X86 computers. There are some (Ahem. Lots of.) rufus download sites that try to crash your computer.

(-) PS2 HID legacy support sometimes disappears when a USB keyboard or mouse is connected. Repair needs >30min and reboots.

(+) Finally, AVIRA antivirus can be installed in build 10049, tested using the offline installer package (>160MB, not the small downloader). Lots of warnings but it works. Run the installer as admin.

(-) compatibility mode needs an improvement. I had setups reporting "Windows 1 is not supported." or "Internet explorer 5 or newer required."

(bug) spartan search is .. mostly harmless. But it doesn't find much. Or it crashes the browser. (hint: default search in IE11 is set to google)

(want that!) msi / inf installer could automagically install in the proper compatibility mode (and report that on the screen, too). Improves driver and application installation.

Discussion Info

Last updated November 3, 2018 Views 3,264 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

how long it tayke u 2 install blud?

itz been gwaning 4 me bowt 2bagz an a half now.

mandem haz been kotchin ber long waitin for ting to plete.

haw long it take 4 urs to plete blud?

big ting iz @ 21%

small ting is around 71%

manz jus sparked a blem datz y im giv'z'ing u ruff estimayshun

10049 download - 6..8h. I have slow www access sometimes.

10049 installation - 4x boot, 4h. I assume it worked on 3rd try.

should be a lot faster now, some updates came after i installed. system appears more stable and faster now than with my dl'd 10049. the update has black screens for 20min..2h depending on MB. don't panic :)

Wonder if it's possible to have a verbose switch so we can see what it is doing. sit & hope is a bad idea for a software install.

I fix it. Production lines, torch lights. Computers too.

im installing it again. im installing it on a hard drive with 50gb free. it has a rough average write speed of 20BM/S  on an average file size..its on default cluster size... wud tit install faster on a partition with a cluster size of 512b? or 64k? 

why is it taking so long to install windows 10 technical preview 10049?

my other ones dint take dis long to plete... weird thing is..when i hit the reset button..and it did a rollback as i rebooted midway thru instilation back to 100041..my puter gave me the "WELCUM TO WINDOWS XPLORER SPARTANZ

Even tho it neverd pleted to 10049..but the puter sumhaw finks it pleted so it assumes tit hasd spartans installed but never pleted..hopefully it will pleate thistime... **** been installing for nearly 2hours naw....

big box is on 19%

lil box is on 63% (setting up 63%)

does the "APPLYIBG PC SETTINGS" part take ages and has to plete frrom 0percentes to 100% tooo?

CPU= AMD PHENOM X4 955 AM3 BLACK EDITION

MOTHERBOARD= ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3

HDD= WESTERN DIJITALZ CAVIAR 250GB  / FUJITSU MHX2250BT

PSU= Sum generik one attached to the outer case 450

RAMZ= 1STICK DDR3 1600MHZ 4GB (DUNO IF TIT IS DUAL CHANNEL..HAZ CHIPS ON BOTH SIDEZ TGO)

YEEES I NO..I NO...my hard drives os BADDDLY bottlenekkin my puter an i reaaly shudz upgraydes to sum ssd...weird fing yg i waz at pc werld one day like 5 yrs ago..n i copy pasted the windows folder an their hard drice have a 300MB/S write speeed....hmmm  with speed like dat i dont really need a  ssd? what type of hard drives gives dat types of speeds? do u no?  also i really miss the windows 95/98 disk defragmentator..me an everyone at high school used to defrag the pc's just so we cud sit there and watch the bars change colors and go faster.....whu did microsoft take that feature out...it WAS SOOOOO COOOOOOOLLLL...one of the best old features....along with the windows 95 maze screensaver.(which was a secret gayme aparently that had like 20-30 levals)

is it worth installing? or shud i wait for micro to finish pleating the slow sexshun and instal dat one?  wat u fink bro?

4 hours in

big one is 25%

Small one is 83% (at the bottom where it sais setting up 83%) 

im givin it 2more hours....if the next bit gives me a slite hint dat tit is guna takes ages dens imas quits **** ands restarts da's puters

y is tit takings 25 hours to install spartanz... microdick said **** jist spartans dats the bit on tit for new puter uptdate

ONG IT WENT UP TO 84% WAAAAAAAAAAWWWW

I DID SUM CALKYOULAYSHUNZ N I FIGUREDZ OUTZ 1%=7MINS... 

E.G DA FIRST 23% OR WAHTEVA TOOK LIKE 5MINS BUT DA REST BIT I DID THE MULTPLICAYSHUN M GOT THE ESTIMATION FROM THE CONCLUSION OF THE INSTILATION FROM THE PUTER GAYSHUN

THEY SHUD ATLEAST PUT A TIMER FOR THEIR INSTILAYSHUNS... ITS FCUKING 2015... NOT FUKING 1923

2015  NOTTTTT 1923   EVEN WINDOWS XP HAD A TIMER

XP=GOOD

ME=****

VISTA=****

7=GOOD

8=****

8.1=****

10=GOOD